New FJ-09 Owner

• Premium Member
jgalloway, 
Agree, Moved from a 2008 DL650 Vstrom to the FJ and like all of the new FJ features, looks, and power!!

Brick,

Yep, wish it was our home on a mountain top next to a twisty!  (rofl)

Yea Bill but you have a beautiful home and a fantastic work shop right where you are now!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
David,

Thanks!!!!!

Our 2008 DL650 Vstrom purchased new has been a great motorcycle. Been looking at the FJ09 for almost two years. Will sell the Strom next April and use the FJ for solo sport and two-up sport touring. The FJ has similar colors like my 2015 CB500X that is used for twisty riding to and from favorite fire road riding areas.

• Premium Member
Our 2008 DL650 Vstrom purchased new has been a great motorcycle. Been looking at the FJ09 for almost two years. Will sell the Strom next April and use the FJ for solo sport and two-up sport touring. The FJ has similar colors like my 2015 CB500X that is used for twisty riding to and from favorite fire road riding areas.  

Two years? that's some serious deliberation.......... 
I didn't even spend that much time deciding whether to marry my wife!

• Premium Member
thruster8999,

Thanks,

The CB500X is a keeper for me. Running tubeless Avon Trailriders on it, 120/70/17 & 160/60/17. Have to reduce tire air pressure on large gravel so it's not too harsh, then it works OK on fire roads for me.   The CB gets an honest 65 to 70MPG. Would not run the interstate much with it, but the bike is a pleasure to ride on mountain twistys and back roads with 47HP. The OEM fork springs were harsh, so installed Hagon springs with 7.5W fork oil. The forks feel OK for me now. Purchased a Givi trunk mount and installed a Pelican trunk. Installed after market bash plate & Barkbuster hand-guards, too.

You can see how the FJ & CB colors are similar:

IMG_1973_zpsctgg2kjx.jpg

2015 CB500X:

IMG_1816_zpsqjsmm7mw.jpg

• Premium Member
I agree. My fj is for more two up riding and I really want the cb500x for offroad and traveling down to mexico and maybe costa rica.
thruster8999, 
With the 4.5 gallon tank @ 70 MPG (if you're easy on the throttle) yields good range on a CB tank of gas between fuel stops.  Avon Trailriders have good reviews for travels to remote areas. Rally Raid has some serious off road upgrades for the CB, too. I installed their bash plate, they have suspension and many off road upgrades available for the CB.

Archived