Newbie questions

• Premium Member
Another thought about gear:

If you are serious about losing weight and/or changing the shape of your body, maybe the thing to do would be to buy inexpensive (but safe) gear now, and set some fitness goal in your mind, at which point you buy yourself fancier gear. That would add some good incentives.

For example, "when I get to XXX pounds" or "when I get to XXX waist" or "when I can swim X distance, without stopping", treat yourself to the fancy gear.

It would be a shame to get nice stuff now and then have it be too big for you down the road.

• Premium Member
The FJ-09 is a big bike for a first time rider. I would try to get a used smaller bike and ride a few months. You are likely to tip it over and otherwise mess it up as you learn, and when you feel more comfortable, you can trade it in and get the FJ-09. You may have to delay riding 2up for a bit, but you will likely save some money and be prepared for the bigger bike when you get it. My opinion only, your mileage may vary.

The LEO courses to my understanding are really geared towards experienced riders.

I'm not too worried about dropping it. Things can be fixed, and I've already got it in my mind that it's going to get scuffed up and such regardless.

Yup, that's one of the reasons why I'm switching. I just tested at another agency this morning. I'm still fit enough to where I've never failed a physical test, although even I'd say today's was kinda easy. Getting on 12 hour shifts would be amazing to get working back out again. Currently on 8s that are all over the place. Ive only had 4 foot pursuits so far. One was drunk, lost him because I made a poor choice in path. Other three were a 14 year old autistic, caught him on my own each time. I've yet to be in a fight yet where I was the primary officer. I've hopped in on quite a few as a backup though.

Used to driver a charger at my last agency, Explorers now.. Miss the charger, but the Explorer is shelter suited for the terrain and work here. That's a good point though.

And yes about gear I was looking at the Helicate air bag type jackets, but not sure I want to spend that kinda money and not have it fit in a few months at the same time.

Pretty sure I've settled on the FJ-09 now, unless when I end up taking that course it ends up being "nope! Smaller!" Not too worried about dropping it, and I'll just have to be careful with it in terms of riding. Just because of the max weight it doesn't look like I'll be taking any passengers until I get my weight down to begin with.

Thanks for everyone's responses. If anyone has anything else to add I'm still open ears.

• Premium Member
The FJ-09(MT-09 tracer)is replacing the current EU motorcycles in police departments ?
only in a few instances - used as a training bike by French gendarmes and one city in Italy has them as inner city runabouts. 
The FJR1300 (UK, France, Spain) and BMW R1200RT (Germany, Switzerland, Austria) reign supreme in the patrol bike department as they need uber-tourers to carry all of the kit required. The Honda ST1300 had to be binned by UK police as it could not cope with the weight distribution of the standard police equipment, leading to a death weave that killed two police riders. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I think an FJ 09 is too big, too fast for a first bike. I'd recommend a 650 class bike, Ninja 650, Versys 650, FZ 07, SV 650, Vee Strom 650. Any of these bikes will be quicker than almost any car on the street. I'm 5-11 and weigh 270, my Versys 650 is plenty fast (but the FJ 09 is replacing it). A bike that is too fast can be very intimidating to ride, you'll be more comfortable and learn faster on a smaller bike. Buy a used one, and if you outgrow it in a year or so, great, moving up is all part of the experience. I would recommend against carrying a passenger for at least a few months anyway. Gear in your size is going to be a little hard to find, 3XL or 4XL? I was an MSF instructor for a few years, you'll have more fun on a smaller bike at first.

Archived