HOV Lane Transponder Placement? GA, FL, NC toll management

• Premium Member
Have any of you registered for one of these?
I think it's a waste that I have to open and register an account to not get fined to use the toll lane that motorcycles are toll exempt from. So, I opened an account anyhow and they sent me a sticker that they want me to place on the headlight lens.   I called them and they told me I'd get fined for using the HOV lanes without the transponder even though I opened and registered an exempt account for my motorcycle.
Do any of you have any experience with these and where did you mount yours? What the hell do FZ-10 owners do without a windshield or any real headlight lens?

• Supporting Member
I'm not familiar with the GA, FL, NC toll policies and equipment, but for the Texas Toll Tag system I registered my bikes correctly, then threw the transponders in a box in the garage and never looked back.  About once a year I get a friendly note indicating "your transponder may not be mounted correctly" (can't argue that point), but they always sort it out via the license plate.  My account gets billed correctly for legitimate tolls, and no problems with the HOV lanes.  Your mileage may certainly vary, but this has worked for me locally for almost 20 years. 

• Premium Member
Maybe. It's actually a sticker that's about 3/4" tall and 3 wide. It's mostly clear with a black dot in the center and some squiggly white lines on it. I just don't have a windshield and I really don't want to plaster it across my headlight lens.

In their directions, they say to place it on the center of the big round headlight lens so it's backlit by the headlight. When I called, they also said that the windshield is acceptable, though angled windshields may not register with the transponder system.
But since I'm registered, I may do like texscottyd suggests and deal with any letters that come in.  Technically, I'm registered and meet the regulatory requirements.  It's not like I'm violating a toll because motorcycles are exempt anyhow.

• Supporting Member
Sounds like the same type of tags our system uses... sticky-backed plastic cards with an embedded chip that mounts inside the windshield near the rear view mirror of a car. As long as you have the correct license plate number on file of an active toll account, I really don't think you would have an issue just leaving if off of your bike.

Hi, We have ez pass here in the tri state area (NY) and this will be my first year with one on a motorcycle. Had them for years on cars . Ours looks like about a 1/2 hot dog with Velcro on the back. They tell us to simply carry the device in your motorcycle jacket-pocket-or sleeve and it will register. I will  tell you that they certainly can and will fine you for any infractions of the rules. So make sure you read and understand the fine print (whose sole purpose is that you can neither read it or understand it) But I know once you are fined and in the system it is nearly impossible to come out unscathed. I would even go to the police station and ask them what they do, a lot of them ride and will tell you.

I have a toll tunnel near me and motorbikes have their own narrow lane, with a slight speed bump in it to stop us blatting through. Seems a much simpler system to allow bikes to be toll exempt.

I have a tag for the car but have stopped using the tag only lane as there is always some muppet in it who hasn't read the signage and is sat there trying to pay with cash.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived