New FJ 09 - bought today.

I got home about an hour ago from a Yamaha dealer with my FJ 09. I had about a 50 mile drive from dealer to home, so I got a pretty good idea on performance/handling.
First impression- let the hate and rebuttals begin. I have had two previous FZ1's. First Gen and Second Gen.  The FZ1's just seemed so much smoother to me. They felt a bit heavier than FJ 09, but IMO they handled as well or better than my FJ 09. I don't really know how to explain it but, it just seems to me that my previous FZ1's were just smoother and I miss inline 4.
Let the hater's begin. This is just my first impression, but I am sure the FJ 09 will grow on me. The FJ-09 does look sweet, the red is awesome.

• Premium Member
Having owned a first gen FZ1, and was in the market for a 2nd gen FZ1, I feel I have done my research. The 1st gen handled ok, but I ended up putting $1200 worth of suspension into it. The almost new 2nd gen I test rode handled like A$$. Wallowed into the turns, did not have a neutral feeling in the turns, compressed way down when braking, and had a terrible low end lag. It scooted when up into the rpm range, but only then. The F-Jay was confidence inspiring the first mile I put on it. Lots of grunt way down low in the rpm range(sorry FZ1, you can't compare down low). Comfort was way better with the F-Jay also. Give it some time, you may learn to love it like most of the rest of us. Maybe sell it cheap to somebody else pining for this bike?
I could buy an FZ1 and make it handle ok and have better fueling for about $2,000, or I could buy the F-Jay. It was simple math for me. I hope you give it a chance and you come around. Don't feel bad for being in the minority with this bike. OK, maybe a little. ;)

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I too love the first gen FZ1, still have my 03 with 34000 miles. I also miss the in line 4, smooth and screaming top end. But, I love love love the torque of this engine. I'm not sure I love the grunt of it though. Much more usable power than the FZ1 90% of the time, I've got 750 miles on it and it's still growing on me. No regrets here so far.

Guest eatpasta
I don't really know how to explain it but, it just seems to me that my previous FZ1's were just smoother and I miss inline 4.
I have an FJR that ill trade you straight across for.... 

Archived