FJ-09 CEL Check Engine Light Problem Issue

phm14

My '17 FJ-09 has a persistent CEL since a battery swap. I understand since '16, Yamaha has locked consumers out of the onboard diag system, so we have to take the bike into the dealer. I've read that Yamaha offers a expensive adapter cable in some markets that will work with some scanners (also found info on how to cobble a cable together), but I don't have these tools at present. The issue started when I left the key on after loading the bike up for a weekend out of town trip, and didn't realize it until several hours later when the battery was completely flat. I wound up hauling the bike to an auto parts store that evening  and attempting to use their jump bow to start the bike. I hindsight, this was not the best idea, as the large auto clamps could not reach to clamp to the positive terminal, and had to be pressed down onto the + terminal for a intermittent connection. The bike would start, and run very rough, but would not idle with the jump box removed. I soon gave up trying to use the bike to charge the battery, and removed it so the store could charge it. Their charger overheated and melted a terminal off the factory battery, so they replaced it. The bike ran normally after the new battery was installed, but has had a constant CEL since, over two rides totaling ~ 380 miles, bringing the ODO up to 1100 miles. While the battery was flat, I swapped on a Akrapovic Ti race system, leaving the noise plug in. I have read accounts on a FZ forum about ghost CELs occurring for various reasons on XSRs and FJRs mainly. My local Yamaha dealer sucks, and I really don't trust them. My next step is to check all the fuses, and only take the bike into the dealer as a last resort. Anyone have a similar experience, or advice?

If its a '17 you should still be under warranty. I'm not a fan of going to crappy dealers either, but if you do need new parts/labor it should be free. My guess is that the engine light is on from the low battery, and now requires a computer to clear it. Check your fuses and grounds to make sure nothing else is blown though.

*Try this at your own risk* I don't know if this works on bikes, but on cars you can disconnect both battery terminal wires and touch the wires together to discharge any risidual charge to clear a check engine light. Works for my old Honda lol. I would only do this if you are pretty sure the CEL is for something you have already addressed and corrected.

I agree with @nsmiller if it's still under warranty go make the dealer deal with it.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Thanks, guys. Checked all the fuses in one box under the seat, and two boxes under the right front fairing. Anything else to check? One owner said a dealer told him that if the CEL isn't flashing, just ride it. Guess at some point I may want to get them to check/clear the codes for peace of mind. Bike is running strong & cool, with no apparent issues. No noticeable decel pop with the new pipe.

Tried to "let the dealer deal with it", but that never really seems to work so well for me. Decided to stop by and see if I could get them to take 10 minutes to clear the codes. One of the techs overheard the counter chic telling me I'd need to leave it there for a week, and started up a conversation. 30 minutes later, my bike is hooked up to the diag computer with the connector that took 10 minutes find, and no one knows the password to their Yamaha software. "yeah, I couldn't get in last time either". After another 15 minutes of everyone in the shop taking turns trying to guess what password was used by whoever installed the last update, I'm told they don't have time to call Yamaha before they get get into trouble for trying to help me with my new bike. I thanked Steve for the effort, and rode off with the mystery CEL defiantly glowing on the dash. Guess I better get used to it...1st time I put a foot down at a light I realize my seat isn't secured on the bike correctly, and have to pull off and take my tail bag off, again, because they can't even put the seat right. Really looking forward to going back, since this torture seems to be the only way to get the CEL off. The next closest dealer is a 2 hour round trip...last time they tried to charge me for warranty work. Get your shit together, Yamaha, or quit locking people out of their own bikes, especially when they know more than the "techs" at your dealerships about their machine.

@phm14 if you turn the bike on without cranking it and let it do its thing (or at anytime really) it never displays a CEL code?

The dealer installed the ABS sensor incorrectly on the front of mine and it gave me a number on the display.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

No. For 2016 on, Yamaha decided that we are too stupid to be trusted with the knowledge of why our own bikes are throwing a CEL....better to leave it to the pros at the dealerships, obviously. Result: Reward customers who spend 5 figures on new motorcycles with torturous incompetence in order to pad the crappy dealers bottom line. I've been through worse with a new Yamaha jet ski with finish flaking off the prop tunnel. Had to expose the situation on social media to get it covered, and even then the job was half assed and the ski was damaged. At some point, you just give up due to wasted time and frustration. I started out wrenching my own stuff as kid, mainly because I couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it. At 54, I've learned not to let any shop touch my machines unless it's absolutely necessary. The fact that Porsche and BMW force customers to use their proprietary software to reset the maintenance minder is one reason I haven't bought any of their late model cars...I like to save time and do my own oil changes. If I had been aware that Yamaha is crossing that stupid line, I might have bought a '15, saving time and frustration.

Archived