Oil Level Window

jumpjet

What would cause the oil level window to look like this?  This is when no oil is in view of the window.  I've changed the oil regularly and wiped the glass down so this is not external.  Is this something I should be concerned about?

20170510_204623.jpg

Interesting question...hmmmm now the question is stuck in the little hamster wheel in my head... What oil brand was used?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

See if you can warm the window gently with a hair drier. If it is an oil film it should warm up and move/drain, the same will happen if it is an emulsion of oil and water. You can check the clarity of the window then. Once the window is clear, run the bike normally and see if it returns.

If it comes back I would be tempted to drain some of the oil and have a look at that in a pan, as well as post a photo here of a thin film of the oil.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I've used Castrol Actevo 10w40 Syntheticv blend but am now using Rotella T6 5w40 Synthetic oil. I have around 25k miles on the bike. I will try the hair dryer idea and see if that works and report back.

These sight glasses install like an oil seal.  To get the old one out  you drill the glass (actually plastic) and put a screw into it.  Then pull.  If there is a dye in the oil you are using, it can paint the plastic and render it useless as a sight glass.  I've had this issue at work, but not with motor oil before.

Looks like it would do. As mentioned above it seems to have a rubber sealing ring.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I think the kind of flash light you use, and the kind of metal on the backing seems to reflect more orange light than normally. It also may be something in oil chemistry. I just changed my oil, I could see some orange around the outer edges, but not as bad as yours.

Archived