Rear Suspension Raising Links

is the ~10mm adjustment range (~30mm at the saddle) available on many an aftermarket shock not adequate? Yes it can be done, just need to properly model the linkage ratio to arrive at your intended results.

• Supporting Member
Raising the back 25mm is a LOT to change on the bikes geometry. As Matt said, the aftermarket shocks have 10mm adjustment as the maximum. If you have an aftermarket shock I suppose you could extend it fully as well as lower the forks in the clamps (raising the front) a few MM at a time to get the steering to match, but a few MM isn't going to drastically alter your ground clearance.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

are you running over boulders or something? The forks have no more length to give unless you remove the 20mm top-out spring. Or you can crank the preload all the way and use heavy springs to move rider sag from ~45 to say 15 but again why?

If you want to add an easy inch or more, then you probably should look at swapping in the Ténéré forks and possibly the whole swingarm with linkage but you'll still need to fabricate a shock mount.

K-tech, Jri, Penske can all fabricate a custom shock with a longer shaft if you want them to.

I raised the height on my Kawasaki Ninja 500 by about that much, as it improved the handling. Remember it's going to affect your sidestand and center stands. Side stand: bike will lean over further. Center stand: on the Ninja, rear wheel no longer spun freely; it dragged on the ground when on the center stand. I used a "plank" under the stand to do maintenance work, etc..

That's good info! Thanks! Reason for the increased clearance is because I'm building to make it a bit better off the beaten path. (I know, just buy a bike suited for it haha...but where's the fun in that?!) On the roads I ride there are some substantial ruts, holes, rocks, etc. at the beginning of many and then it clears out.

I know the handling will be altered because of the geometry change, but would it be extremely noticeable, or is that altered handling only really noticeable on a track type environment? How much do lowering links affect other motorcycles? Would it be a similar difference as raising?

lowering links can make a bike act like a pig, and raising it can make some of them super nervous. But it depends a lot on the bike and to what degree. Eg. the SV650 is very ass-heavy (FZ07 somewhat) so cranking in +20-30mm (axle/tail distance) is desirable especially for track use but can be beneficial on street too. Same applies to the Ninja 300. 

I wouldn't put the FZ/FJ into the same category but some extra ride height can be tolerated. Your best course of action is a an aftermarket shock, and a couple sets of linkage arms. Be prepared to experiment. And be advised you need to keep the front and the rear reasonably balanced. My SV650 used to headshake after T10 at VIR. I took 1 turn (1.5mm) out of the penske clevis and it's been perfectly stable since.

Archived