Gvi trekker outback vs trekker dolomiti

After riding my FJ-09 for almost 4 months now, I am ready to pull the trigger on the luggage. Initially, I wanted to get Shad luggage (SH36) but after checking other options, I decided to go with top loaders. I really liked the Givi Trekker Outback series but it is expensive. Recently I came across Givi Trekker Dolomiti series but I am not very sure what is the difference between these two systems? Does anybody know which one is better and why?  Sorry for creating one more thread with luggage topic

The biggest difference is the rack you can use. The Dolomiti's are compatible with the PLR2122 rack.. which is quick release off the bike in about 1 minute. Leaving just 2 small stubs near the pillion seat and one behind the pillion footrest which you can hardly see.

The Trekkers rack is pretty much designed to stay on the bike all the time (PL2122CAM).

I've got the Dolomitis and they've been brilliant. Loads of room but nice and narrow. 50mm narrower than the handlebars and tbh i cant really tell that they're on when riding!

6BAD625C-2D28-41A3-BAD6-FB0C9C410F21.jpg

36ADCFFF-1EDD-4B00-95D5-4AEFD12B3A56.jpg

4454EF06-A17B-44D5-8D8A-79AEF2A45D23.jpg

otaylor38 Thank you for your reply. Really appreciate the information and pictures. Nice looking bike.
No mither bud, and cheers! 

Are you from the UK? i ask as if you do go for the Dolomiti's i know where you can get them for £360 delivered, exc rack obviously. I'll share the info if thats any use to you :) 

otaylor38 Thank you for your reply. Really appreciate the information and pictures. Nice looking bike.
Are you from the UK? i ask as if you do go for the Dolomiti's i know where you can get them for £360 delivered, exc rack obviously. I'll share the info if thats any use to you :)  

I am from the USA. Lowest price I have found for those is $585. Please share info with me and I will check with them what will be the international shipping on those.  Thanks 

I am from the USA. Lowest price I have found for those is $585. Please share info with me and I will check with them what will be the international shipping on those.  Thanks 
Follow this link and use coupon code VFRX10 at the checkout for a 10% discount.  
Cant help you with the shipping unfortunately lol. 

Thank you @otaylor38 for the coupon code but I do not see any link in the post. 

Thank you @otaylor38 for the coupon code but I do not see any link in the post. 
https://northwestmotorcyclesdirect.com/GIVI-Panniers-Pack-36L-DLM36APACK2-Trekker-Dolomiti-Monokey-Cam-Side?search=givi%20dolomiti&description=1&category_id=0&sub_category=

not sure what happened there! LOL. 

Went through a few options. Settled on the Sh36 & Sh48 combo. Did a 600km ride in terrible rain this week from Toronto to montreal.

Not a drop of water in! I did get the bags included complimentary when ordering the set from Shad US. Makes travelling very easy & I highly recommend.

Also never noticed the difference in terms of bike width while riding.

55b1a69945bb5325cc7c1f205540f6f5.jpg

Went through a few options. Settled on the Sh36 & Sh48 combo. Did a 600km ride in terrible rain this week from Toronto to montreal.  
Not a drop of water in! I did get the bags included complimentary when ordering the set from Shad US. Makes travelling very easy & I highly recommend.

If you don't mind, could you please tell me what other options you considered and why you choose Shad over those? I was all in for Shad cases initially but after checking Givi Dolomiti and Outback series I am thinking top loader cases would be much more functional compared to side loaders and to me those looks a bit cleaner (just my opinion) 

• Premium Member
The Outback series is expandable with their soft luggage line, but honestly, you could use and 3rd party that his tie downs. It looks like the Dolomiti is expandable as well, but that handle might get in the way. I have the Outback Trekkers, I love them. I can carry all my gear for riding plus four bags of groceries :D

IMG_20160725_171043.jpg

If you don't mind, could you please tell me what other options you considered and why you choose Shad over those? I was all in for Shad cases initially but after checking Givi Dolomiti and Outback series I am thinking top loader cases would be much more functional compared to side loaders and to me those looks a bit cleaner (just my opinion)  

The others considered were the yamaha oem (too small & pricey) and the top loading options.

I did not go with the top loading options for 2 reasons:
1. Their boxy shape did not appeal to me. Felt out of sync with the bike

2. To access anything at the bottom in between a ride felt like it would be a PITA.

With side loading (and the lip) i can easily access stuff while on a ride without having pull everything out - non-linear access vs Last in First out. Also each side case can take a full face helmet when required. When carrying something broad and / or non regular shape, easier to fit in given that half of the saddle box opens up vs only the top lid for a top loader etc etc

Disclaimer - these were just my requirements & criteria and therefore could be very different from others here.

The others considered were the yamaha oem (too small & pricey) and the top loading options.  
I did not go with the top loading options for 2 reasons:
1. Their boxy shape did not appeal to me. Felt out of sync with the bike

2. To access anything at the bottom in between a ride felt like it would be a PITA.

With side loading (and the lip) i can easily access stuff while on a ride without having pull everything out - non-linear access vs Last in First out. Also each side case can take a full face helmet when required. When carrying something broad and / or non regular shape, easier to fit in given that half of the saddle box opens up vs only the top lid for a top loader etc etc

Disclaimer - these were just my requirements & criteria and therefore could be very different from others here.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Those are all valid points.

• 2 weeks later...
I originally had the OEM side cases on my 2015 FJ 09. I found them to be well made but functionality was poor. When the bike was on the side stand, accessing the left bag was always difficult. I had to brace the outer clam shell with my knee when loading and unloading. It was also difficult to fully load the bags. After researching other options I selected the Givi Outback Trekker. I have found them to be outstanding in build quality and functionality. I didn't need the removability of the Dolomiti series so the Trekker was my perfect solution. The tie down locations give excellent flexibility. My bike is red and I chose the black color option shown by a previous poster.

• 2 months later...