Got a deal on FJR hard bags Buuuttt...

Got a set of Sliver Bags in great shape.  Just a few scratches etc.  I paid a whopping 50 bucks.  However, there is a catch.  The guy no longer had the keys.  They were sitting in a storage unit for years.  Anyway, for 50 bucks, I decided to gamble.   Now a trip to a lock smith is in order.  Unless someone on here has any suggestions.  The bags are locked.  From what I can tell, I would have to remove the pin from the hinges to get at the inside and perhaps replace the cylinders.  

I have re-keyed a five of these locks.  (I managed to get my hands on both the narrower 'city bags' and a set of fjr bags, and a top box.)

The lock is very simple, and easy to rekey.  Get a lock smith to pick the lock (or you could).  Once it is open it is just security torx bit or screw driver away from taking the lock cylinder out.  The screws should have a little bit of locktite on them but it's not too much torque to get them out.

Once the cylinder is out, you just need a needle nose plyers to pull out the pins that don't match your keys, then just replace those pins. 

I have some extra pins, and cylinders, I just don't have a 'full set' of pins any longer.  I'd probably be willing to part with them for a fair offer.  Or you could just get the rekey kit from yamaha to get a full set of pins, and a lock cylinder(s).

There is a way to determine which pins you need by measuring your key with a calipers, I just forgot the exact procedure (I misplaced my instructions, but the method is described in the rekeying instructions that come with the yamaha rekeying kit.)

But basically the different depths are correspond to pins with numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 (I don't remember if there is a 5.)  I think I've used up all of my 2s and 4s I think, but I have a lot of extra 1s and 3s.  (I'd have to look to be sure, if you are interested I'll get more details.)

Got a set of Sliver Bags in great shape.  Just a few scratches etc.  I paid a whopping 50 bucks.  However, there is a catch.  The guy no longer had the keys.  They were sitting in a storage unit for years.  Anyway, for 50 bucks, I decided to gamble.   Now a trip to a lock smith is in order.  Unless someone on here has any suggestions.  The bags are locked.  From what I can tell, I would have to remove the pin from the hinges to get at the inside and perhaps replace the cylinders.  
Best deal I have ever heard of.  YTM.  Smart move on the keying too.  Pictures of these on your bike please.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived