Stuck Cultch Cable

bugsplatered

• Premium Member
While changing my old clutch cable to a new one it became stuck.  Pic is attached.

I was attempting to pull the old cable downward while it pulled the new cable (that was taped on) downward when it became stuck between the radiator mount and the frame.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Does anyone have any tips or advice?cable_002.jpg

You've gotta loosen that radiator mount bolt to give yourself a little wiggle room to pull it through. Once you've got it loosened, you may need to pull that side of the radiator out a little bit while you pull on the clutch cable.

• Premium Member
You've gotta loosen that radiator mount bolt to give yourself a little wiggle room to pull it through. Once you've got it loosened, you may need to pull that side of the radiator out a little bit while you pull on the clutch cable.
Really? I thought the whole idea of taping the old cable to the new one, was so that it would follow the same path and make it easier to get the business end down through the maze. 
If that doesn't work, than why bother taping the two cables together?

Definitely tape the cables together so that you don't have to completely reroute the new one. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the lever end of the new cable through the radiator mount without loosening the bolt. It was just a bit too fat. Takes about 30 seconds to loosen it up and everything goes smoothly once you do.

• Premium Member
Definitely tape the cables together so that you don't have to completely reroute the new one. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the lever end of the new cable through the radiator mount without loosening the bolt. It was just a bit too fat. Takes about 30 seconds to loosen it up and everything goes smoothly once you do.
That's all well and good, but if you are on the road, and don't have the tool to loosen the bolt, you are still stuck. I've been thinking that my spare clutch cable under my seat with duck tape would save me if I ever had the clutch cable break. I guess I need to re-think this.....

• Premium Member
Thanks jurstey.  It was the radiator that had trapped the cables.  I also moved the tape closer to the ends of the cables to make them more streamline. 
Yes, you would need a hex wrench, tape and an open end (12mm) wrench to do a on roadside replacement.  And absolutely tape the ends of the cables together.  Otherwise it would be close to impossible to route the cable through roadside.

That's all well and good, but if you are on the road, and don't have the tool to loosen the bolt, you are still stuck. I've been thinking that my spare clutch cable under my seat with duck tape would save me if I ever had the clutch cable break. I guess I need to re-think this.....
If you're worried about the cable breaking on the road, I've seen some folks that run a spare cable along the length of their existing cable and zip tie some sandwich bags over the ends to keep them clean. Probably not the prettiest solution, but it'd definitely make a roadside repair much more feasible.

Archived