Warped rear sprocket

• Premium Member
I seriously considered changing the gearing before ordering the sprocket. I like to take a few longer trips per year, and when I'm on the highway, I'm always reaching for 7th gear on this bike. When I'm cruising at 80+ it would be nice to have a few less RPMs. But I take spirited rides on hilly, twisty roads with my friends on super sports much more often than I get to take trips, and when I do that kind of riding, the low gearing puts a smile on my face. I could even stand for it to be a little lower. I'm just not ready to trade off any of the performance yet. A new 45T will be here tomorrow.

I've alwawys felt moto transmissions should have wider spacing at either end, first gear should be the wheelie hooligan gear (say 10% lower then stock).  Sixth gear should be the freeway cruise gear (say 15% taller then stock) and really only useful on the interstate.  Two, 3, IV & 101 can just pretty much stay where they are....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
My 2,500 mile trip turned into a 3,200 mile trip with a detour to the Smokey Mountains on the way home. The Tail of the Dragon was calling my name. I cleaned the chain twice on the trip and a third time when I got home today. I still can't figure out how the stock sprocket got bent, but I'm happy to say that it apparently isn't a reoccurring problem.

• Premium Member
Good to hear it was a one-of event, and you ended up having a good trip. Would there be any marks, gouges etc. on the inside of the swingarm, i.e. as would happen if a stone or other were to get lodged in between it and the sprocket? This one really is a bit of a mystery.
It was a great trip. So many great experiences. And with some mad detective skills, @mangosmoothie saw my bike in a hotel parking lot and was able to track me down and message me on here. There are no marks on the swingarm or anywhere else. No scratches or gouges. Nothing on the sprocket, either. I had a minor crash last year, in which I did some accidental off-roading and laid it down in some mud. I thought maybe I did it then, but I laid it down on the other side. Nothing on the sprocket side made contact with anything. As unlikely as it sounds, I can't help but wonder if the thing didn't come bent either by the factory or dealer, and I just hadn't noticed it sooner.

It was a great trip. So many great experiences. And with some mad detective skills, @mangosmoothie saw my bike in a hotel parking lot and was able to track me down and message me on here. There are no marks on the swingarm or anywhere else. No scratches or gouges. Nothing on the sprocket, either. I had a minor crash last year, in which I did some accidental off-roading and laid it down in some mud. I thought maybe I did it then, but I laid it down on the other side. Nothing on the sprocket side made contact with anything. As unlikely as it sounds, I can't help but wonder if the thing didn't come bent either by the factory or dealer, and I just hadn't noticed it sooner.

I was on a ride years ago with a small group. During a typical break one of the guys noticed he was missing 3 teeth on his rear sprocket. 3 of them, and only 3 of them, had just 'disappeared'. Weird shit happens man.

'15 FJ09

Good to hear it was a one-of event, and you ended up having a good trip. Would there be any marks, gouges etc. on the inside of the swingarm, i.e. as would happen if a stone or other were to get lodged in between it and the sprocket? This one really is a bit of a mystery.

Hopefully it wasn't creepy :) I immediately recognized your bike as something I'd seen on here.

sorry I wasn't able to really hang out and shoot the sheet. I got back and fell asleep. The heat wore me out. 

• Premium Member

Hopefully it wasn't creepy :) I immediately recognized your bike as something I'd seen on here.  

sorry I wasn't able to really hang out and shoot the sheet. I got back and fell asleep. The heat wore me out. 
I get it, man. That heat was absolutely brutal. That's why I only rode in the early morning and late afternoon.  

• 1 month later...
My stock rear sprocket is slightly warped too. I've noticed not only a slight wobbly while spinning but also an uneven wear pattern on the sprocket face. It's not so bad that I'm at all concerned but I thought I'd throw it out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived