Quick hello and a couple of questions

Guest bmidd

I'll be purchasing another bike in the next couple of weeks and had a couple of questions for you guys. My first concern is the suspension, I'm 6'3" and 245ish with full gear on and every bike I've owned I have had to drop a bit of money into the suspension to make my bikes handle my weight and riding style. How does the suspension work with guys that are my size/weight? I know the FZ-09 is seriously lacking in the suspension department and I have doubts that Yamaha has just totally corrected the problem on the FJ. My budget allows me to get a new FJ and drop a little money on a couple of accessories, but not enough to have the forks resprung and a Penske or similar shock from Traxxion. My last 2 FZ1's and R1's have had to be reworked. My second option is my a GenII FJR1300 and spend the money on having it sprung for me. I'm sure there are those here that have seat time in both and can offer some advice. At 46 years old now and I'm recovering from a car accident last October in which I had 2 compression fractures in my back and I need to stick with an upright riding position from here on out.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi there!

I'm 6'2" and weigh a bit more than you. My Fj-09's suspension is bone stock and I have no complaints. Handles twisties and freeways both. They re tuned the suspension significantly from the FZ-09 . I think the upright riding position will suit you fine.

Good luck,

Ty
'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

I am 6'2" and have previously owned an FJR and an FZ-09. I have yet to turn a mile on my FJ but the riding position is very similar to my Super Tenere which is all day comfortable. The FJR is not nearly as roomy. It is also really heavy. I would strongly suggest going with the FJ. It will be a lot more comfortable for you and very likely a lot more fun.

Good Luck!

I am 6'2" and have previously owned an FJR and an FZ-09. I have yet to turn a mile on my FJ but the riding position is very similar to my Super Tenere which is all day comfortable. The FJR is not nearly as roomy. It is also really heavy. I would strongly suggest going with the FJ. It will be a lot more comfortable for you and very likely a lot more fun.  
Good Luck!
I will be going with the FJ, I went to Mountain Motorsports Marietta yesterday and they gave me a less than great price and didn't want to negotiate. I ill get a price from a dealer closer to me in Chattanooga that a friend recommended on Monday. Not wanting to pay more than $10-10.5 OTD with heated grips and TTL. The fast color of course. I'm a bit disappointed about the speed limiting thing, but I can wait for a reflash, not a deal breaker.

• Premium Member
Good Luck!
I will be going with the FJ, I went to Mountain Motorsports Marietta yesterday and they gave me a less than great price and didn't want to negotiate. I ill get a price from a dealer closer to me in Chattanooga that a friend recommended on Monday. Not wanting to pay more than $10-10.5 OTD with heated grips and TTL. The fast color of course. I'm a bit disappointed about the speed limiting thing, but I can wait for a reflash, not a deal breaker.
Check out this thread, maybe there is a lower priced dealer in your area: Lowest OTD price thread

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived