Torque wrench experts? Snapon just quit working well

agunslinger

I can't speak to how your wrench was set or if the socket was inserted ALL the way into the head of the bolt, or if you were using a QUALITY 6mm Allen 3/8 drive socket....

but the SnapOn man usually has a demo piece on the truck that you can use your torque wrench on for a "ball park" accuracy measurement.

He can also send it out to get calibrated for you as well. Turn around is usually 2-6 weeks depending on how busy they are.

Skip

I just saw your other post re the handlebar install.

If the torque value you want is 16-17 ft lbs and your wrench starts at 10 or 15 ft lbs, you need another wrench.

Old style clicker type torque wrenches are not very accurate at the extreme ends of their range. It's best to use a wrench where the value you desire falls in the "operating range".

Or buy a digital torque wrench, like the Techwrench.

This is a bit off topic, but sounds like Pattonme is on the right track. Cheap bolts.

HTH,
Skip

Try to find a independent calibration business near you and save some money. I got charged a C-note when asking the Snap-on rep to do it. Storing wrench  with some silicate, and cycling through the adjustment range once in a while helps extend the calibration. :|

Archived