New member greetings from Vancouver British Columbia

budviking

Greetings All

3p8smVf

Yesterday I picked up my new (to me) 2015 FJ-09. I bid a fond farewell to the Strom Troopers forum and my 2006 DL 650 and hello to the awesomeness of the Fj. I'd been considering an upgrade all summer and had narrowed it down to the Fj or Fz 09. Two weeks ago my hand was forced when some loser tried to steal my Vstrom and when he failed trashed it so badly that my insurance wrote it off and is cutting me a check for $700 more than I paid for it 3 1/2 years ago. The only bummer (aside from the hassle and being a cager for two weeks) is that I just last month installed a new set of Metzler Roadtec 01's on it...awesome tires.

A bit of riding yesterday and the 50km round trip commute to work today and I am in love and happy with the move. I do slightly miss a the familiarity of the Strom and the fact that in comparison the triple sounds a bit like a sewing machine but I can see many happy years of riding ahead. I am really surprised going from a 650 to a 900 that the Fj just straight up feels lighter. And the dual piston radial mount front brake is insane compared to the Strom. I'd be a bit terrified if it wasn't ABS it bites so hard and fast.

It was traded in at a dealer by an old couple that had bought it new and traded it in for two scooters. It has only 8800km on it and is in as good shape as the 2017's it was parked beside. plus something tells me that an old guy who drove 2-up with his wife and is now willing to be on a scooter is not the kind of guy who rode the crap out of it and likely broke it in gently. Plus the chicken strips are so wide that there's still a paint line circling the tire 1 1/2" in from the edge of the tire. A couple of more days getting used to it and they should be gone   ;)

20170923_032152.jpg

20170923_032351.jpg

• Supporting Member
Welcome.
The more you ride it the more you are going to love it. My '15 is about 9 months old and now has over 13k miles on it and still puts a smile on my face.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Welcome from the UK... though my sis married a Canadian guy and lives in Vancouver...anway.

Congrats on an excellent choice of velocipede, (grey is faster though) ;-p and excellent choice of forum... lots of helpful people here, and excellent host.

Enjoy.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
Welcome to the team, @budviking - I'm in Vancouver, too, and happy to chat or go for a ride some time.

Just saw someone filling up a red FJ at the Chevron near Boundary and 12th - any chance it was you out for a spin on your new purchase?

~B

Archived