• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

gearbox whine, exhaust odor...normal?

I've got over 15,000 miles on my FJ-09 and have had the rotten egg smell since day 1. Haven't had any issues. Think it's just the cat doing its job smiley.png
Is it the cat doing its job (which is good) or the cat failing (which is bad)? I was looking online and the consensus seems to be that a bad smelling catalytic converter is a broken catalytic converter?

I've got over 15,000 miles on my FJ-09 and have had the rotten egg smell since day 1. Haven't had any issues. Think it's just the cat doing its job smiley.png
Is it the cat doing its job (which is good) or the cat failing (which is bad)? I was looking online and the consensus seems to be that a bad smelling catalytic converter is a broken catalytic converter?
Had it on the stock exhaust for ~12k miles, and still have it on my Yoshimura Y-Series, so that'd have to be two failed cats. Smell seemed more pronounced after having 2wheeldynoworks reflash my ECU, which makes sense since it's now running richer than stock. I really only notice it when I come to a stop after going highway speeds for 10 minutes or longer. I don't smell it just running it in the driveway or garage. Either way, doesn't bother me any. 

Are you showering regularly, jurstey?
Define "regularly" smiley.png
At least once every circuit of Halley's Comet? ;)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Had it on the stock exhaust for ~12k miles, and still have it on my Yoshimura Y-Series, so that'd have to be two failed cats. Smell seemed more pronounced after having 2wheeldynoworks reflash my ECU, which makes sense since it's now running richer than stock. I really only notice it when I come to a stop after going highway speeds for 10 minutes or longer. I don't smell it just running it in the driveway or garage. Either way, doesn't bother me any.
jurstey - now that you said that i realized that's when i notice the smell out of my bike. Mainly after running it hard or highway and coming to a stop. I purchased my bike used from a small dealer as an out of state trade-in/auction bike so i do not know the original owner. Now i am wondering if the ECU was ever re-flashed by the P.O. and if so is there a way to find out? However i would doubt it being that the miles were fairly low. 

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

jurstey - now that you said that i realized that's when i notice the smell out of my bike. Mainly after running it hard or highway and coming to a stop. I purchased my bike used from a small dealer as an out of state trade-in/auction bike so i do not know the original owner. Now i am wondering if the ECU was ever re-flashed by the P.O. and if so is there a way to find out? However i would doubt it being that the miles were fairly low. 
The egg smell was more pronounced after I had my ECU flashed, but it was definitely noticeable even before. Probably the only way to tell if your ECU was flashed would be to send it somewhere and have them check. But either way, I wouldn't worry about it. Ride and enjoy :) EMBRACE THE SULFUR! 

Archived