2600 miles in Northern Mexico

wallycycle

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for the write up, pics, and inspiration. The KTM pics are nice, but more FJ pics in the wild are always a bonus. Great portrait moment of the caballero/vaquero cooking. Also appreciate the map overview that always gives a good mental fix on general locale. Would you be up for sharing your gpx/active route tracks to help in trip planning?  
Thanks,
Rich
Hello Rich. I don't save my route/tracks in my Garmin and even if I did, I would not know how to share. I plan primarily by road map, and navigate by cheat sheets on my Tank Bag and road signs. Signage in Mexico is quite good. I use the Garmin only as a backup and to have something nice to look at while I'm riding and for distance info. On several occasions, the Garmin routing was AFU and would have been foolish to blindly follow. For this trip, I used the AAA map of Mexico and individual State Maps published by Guia Roji. Those State Maps show quite a bit of detail not on the AAA map , but they are a bit dated in respect to paved/dirt. Many dirt roads have been paved since those state maps were published. In times of conflict, Google maps was actually quite a good tie breaker. Mobile coverage is extensive in Mexico. In the remote mountain areas, actually better than in the US.  
Attached are some photos with my bike in case some have forgotten what a FJ09 looks like. DSC03180.jpgDSC03054.jpgIMG_20180125_1402067.jpg

I would be utterly remiss if I didn't mention the excellent reference "Motorcycle Journeys through Northern Mexico" by Neal Davis. It was my inspiration for the routes. It added local knowledge and historical background to the areas we rode. Don't be put off by the older publishing date. The information is still spot on. It's written in the same style as his mentor 's book; John Herman's "Riding the Alps". All editions of that book were my " bible companion" while exploring that part of the world for many years. Both books have general map drawings with realistic itineraries. Neal Davis's book will keep you from reinventing the wheel while in Northern Mexico.
IMG_20180205_0645521.jpg

Archived