2600 miles in Northern Mexico

wallycycle

Just returned from a fantastic 2 weeks in Northern Mexico riding not only Copper Canyon but the great 89, 16 and 12 in Sonora and the classic 40 from Mazatlan to Durango. A sport rider's wet dream. Wonderful roads, beautiful scenery and best of all terrific isolation. 

Should one contemplate such a trip on their FJ09, highly recommend a skid plate. I scrapped many a Tope (speed bump) on the bottom of my Higdonion. Normal Topes no problem but many small villages have crowned speed bumps which focus on the one negative about this bike: limited ground clearance. IMG-20180127-_WA0005.jpgIMG_20180125_1433383.jpg

Nice shots, but my first thought was about ripping around a corner and encountering those donkeys in the middle of the road. 
Hope I would have packed a spare set of underwear....
If one rides at a reasonable pace commensurate with the sight distance, obstacles like Wild Burros, horses, cattle, potholes etc... not an issue. After a day, it's all taken in stride and part of the landscape. Actually adds to the experience. IMG_20180124_1311350.jpgIMG_20180125_1503242.jpg

I fondly recall driving from Chihuahua back to El Paso about a dozen years ago and encountering a heard of cows that brought four lanes to a thirty minute standstill as they slowly meandered across the highway.  Slower times, most definitely.

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

Beautiful. Curious as to what tires you chose for the trip, and what percentage of off-pavement you rode.
Tires I use are just normal sport touring (Metzler Z8) as the trip was a pavement ride. The only off pavement we encountered was unscheduled in the road construction zones. Generally in Mexico in the open areas when they're working on roads, the entire road is closed and a rough dirt road is graded right next to the main road. The condition of the temporary road can vary widely but normal tires are perfectly adequate. Of the 2600 miles ridden in Mexico, only had about 15 miles total construction zone dirt road and all hard packed. 

Beautiful photos! I need to add Mexico to my must-ride list.
Mexico is a wonderful place to ride. Empty secondary roads, friendly people, very reasonable hotel rooms of high standard as long as you plan your overnights in the larger towns / cities, very inexpensive cost for meals / cocktails, gas stations well placed, easy border formalities for you and the bike and never do I feel concerned for my or my bike's safety. 

• Supporting Member
Very nice. It looks like an experience to savor, one of those adventures of a lifetime.

Many years ago while in the Navy we would get about a week of shore leave in some exotic locations, and we would always pack a back pack and take off on adventures for days at a time. Kenya, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Pakistan etc. Memories to last a lifetime.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for the write up, pics, and inspiration. The KTM pics are nice, but more FJ pics in the wild are always a bonus. Great portrait moment of the caballero/vaquero cooking. Also appreciate the map overview that always gives a good mental fix on general locale. Would you be up for sharing your gpx/active route tracks to help in trip planning?

Thanks,
Rich

Archived