How to work the F-Jay Menu system

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
I asked the dealer if i can have the heated grips insted  he accepted and i received them today. Just finished installation 20 minutes ago.
Nice, I used mine today and they work great. Setting 3 is WAY TOO hot. I ended up alternating between setting 2 and setting 1. Setting 1 was not hot enough, and setting 2 was too hot. I need a setting 1.5. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

You can customize the heat level of settings 1, 2 and 3. I watched a YouTube of a guy doing it on his FJR. Its in the advanced menu
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I asked the dealer if i can have the heated grips insted  he accepted and i received them today. Just finished installation 20 minutes ago.
Nice, I used mine today and they work great. Setting 3 is WAY TOO hot. I ended up alternating between setting 2 and setting 1. Setting 1 was not hot enough, and setting 2 was too hot. I need a setting 1.5.

If you go into the menu you can setup what 1 2 and 3 relate too.
There's 10 levels altogether.

• Premium Member
Thank you so much for this link. I used it to change my grip heater settings. This video is for an FJR1300, but the menu system is almost identical to the F-Jay and the S10. :)

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

About customizing the menus, I notice you can build any grouping of three functions per panel/page, so you don't have to stay with the Yamaha default groupings. I was wondering if anyone has tinkered with that and would like to share the grouping they have arrived at?

I am sort of getting used to the way Yamaha have grouped things, but I will probably change some things to customize it more to my taste. For example, I pretty much never use the Trip 2 function and would rather not be looking at it cuz it's just visual clutter for me. So I might do something like ODO, Trip 1 and maybe Trip Time as one screen and get rid of Trip 2. But not sure about Trip Time. I might put something else in that slot.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone else had messed with this and has favorites they'd like to share?

I setup mine as follows:

Screen 1.. Ambient temp, coolant temp, trip #1. ( I use this screen most )

Screen 2.. Trip #1, avg fuel mileage, miles to go till empty.

Screen 3.. Trip #1, Trip # 2, ODO.

I use trip #1 on all 3 screens because thats what I really use to mentally calculate fuel range. ( with our wonky fuel gauge )

Trip #2 I use to track when I last oiled chain. I dont need the "on" time meter, cause I have a clock, and my butt tells me when I need a break!

Also in the maintenance menu I track oil changes, and use the other 2 "free" meters to know how many miles on front, rear tires.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
I setup mine as follows: 
Screen 1.. Ambient temp, coolant temp, trip #1. ( I use this screen most )

Screen 2.. Trip #1, avg fuel mileage, miles to go till empty.

Screen 3.. Trip #1, Trip # 2, ODO.

I use trip #1 on all 3 screens because thats what I really use to mentally calculate fuel range. ( with our wonky fuel gauge )

Trip #2 I use to track when I last oiled chain. I dont need the "on" time meter, cause I have a clock, and my butt tells me when I need a break!

Also in the maintenance menu I track oil changes, and use the other 2 "free" meters to know how many miles on front, rear tires.

Ty

Ty, I don't remember seeing "miles to go till empty". Mine is setup as: 
Screen 1 - Trip 1, Coolant Temp, Ambient Temp
Screen 2 - Odo, Avg Fuel Mileage, Current Fuel Mileage
Screen 3 - Odo, Trip 1, Trip 2

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Hmmmm, You are correct, it should be current fuel mileage. I just learned something. Per the manual, if you go into the Maintenance menu, you can change from L/km to km/L. This lets you see your mpg or.... how many L or gallons it takes to go a set # of miles. ( gotta play with it tomorrow )

Where I was getting confused Clint, was when you are almost out of gas, a special display pops up "trip F" and starts counting miles traveled. Only had that happen once!

Ty
'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• 3 weeks later...
I like some of the groupings people have posted except for one thing. It really bugged me on the default grouping that when Yamaha chose to use ODO twice, they put it in two different slots on the different pages. I want any repeat function readout to be in the same slot on every page. For me this helps with making it more easy to read. So I came up with:

Screen 1 - ODO, C.TEMP, A. TEMP
Screen 2 - ODO, TRIP 1, TRIP TIME
Screen 3 - ODO, AVG FUEL, CRNT FUEL

I nuked Trip 2 for now but may bring it back in place of the instantaneous fuel consumption which I don't find that useful. What's CRNT supposed to stand for anyway? I can't figure that one out in the context of instantaneous MPG.

I like some of the groupings people have posted except for one thing. It really bugged me on the default grouping that when Yamaha chose to use ODO twice, they put it in two different slots on the different pages. I want any repeat function readout to be in the same slot on every page. For me this helps with making it more easy to read. So I came up with: 
Screen 1 - ODO, C.TEMP, A. TEMP
Screen 2 - ODO, TRIP 1, TRIP TIME
Screen 3 - ODO, AVG FUEL, CRNT FUEL

I nuked Trip 2 for now but may bring it back in place of the instantaneous fuel consumption which I don't find that useful. What's CRNT supposed to stand for anyway? I can't figure that one out in the context of instantaneous MPG.
Current?  As in *NOW*!   ;)

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Archived