Las Vegas to Oatman Sat April 14

FJr

Well greetings Rocket man. Google tells me Bullhead is across the river from Laughlin, on the way to Needles. You know the Wagon wheel? I was thinking on there for brekkie. I'm riding with family, so will work to coordinate this. Are you on FB?

• 2 weeks later...
And lets wrap this thread up. Las Vegas offers a center to experience three, four days or more of great day rides. You can rent motorcycles - we met Carl from Ottawa who rented a Triumph Tiger 800 for $100/day - and then was given a Triumph 1200 as the Tiger 800 had been crashed - same price.
I'd recommend Oatman AZ - if you ride south from Las Vegas to Needles Ca, you can dine at the Wagon Wheel - classic route 66 diner, and then head north east to Oatman Az, getting to bag three states, a chunk of Route 66, and a tourist town where wild burros wander the streets - watch the traction! Great mountain pass roads on either side of Oatman - paved, narrow, some corners warn for 15mph.
The Red Rock Canyon just west of Vegas is expensive at $10 for 13 miles of motorcycling, but it is a one way road, and if you can hit it mid week you can beat some of the weekend overcrowding. It's a cruise, but the scenery really is surreal.
North from Vegas, within 30 minutes you can be at Mt. Charleston, touching snow in mid April, and up to 8,500 ft - with lots of curvy road around the mountain range for fun. Say hi to Melissa at the bar in Indian Springs, across from the Creech Air Force base where they run the General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper drone. At $17M per unit....
Further west, and for a longer day trip - Death Valley beckons. Lots of long straights in between, but the geography, and the concept of being hundreds of feet below sea level, looking up at the western mountains at 11,000 ft.
In Vegas there's a Motel 6, $65/night, a block or two off the strip and a $2 bus ride from the airport.
I'm not a Vegas kind of person, but the riding in the area was world class - just have to grind through some traffic, freeway, and empty stretches to get there.
Douglas.

Archived