• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Tank Shroud/Bodywork

Hi folks. The plastic bodywork that overlaps my tank isn't flush with the tank on one side....I can almost get my fingers underneath it, as opposed to the other side which you can't as it is actually flush with the tank. I've just had my bike back from my dealer who was fannying about with it trying to fit a quickshifter. Might seem like a bit of a non issue and pedantic but I wanted to check if anyones else plastics are like this or if indeed my dealer has bent the plastic back as I'm not 100% sure if it wasn't like this before. ..although I'm sure I would have noticed it..

Cheers

David

The plastic paneling has an eyelet on the underside that slips over a tab on fastened to the tank. This tab can be gently bent up/down... so the panel's eyelet is either not around the tab (it is sitting on top of it), or the tab is bent upward, forcing the paneling to sit higher than ideal. Shine a light in there and look, or undo the panel and check/fix.

Thanks for the reply...I think I understand what you are saying...almost. ? I'll have a look tomorrow. Is there any photos on here to illustrate what you are describing?

Thanks for the reply...I think I understand what you are saying...almost. ? I'll have a look tomorrow. Is there any photos on here to illustrate what you are describing?
LH side tab on the tank (circled). 
tab.jpg

Cheers, I see what you mean. I'm starting to think it is just the plastic is slightly bent now...Does yours sit completely flush against the tank equally on both sides?

Cheers, I see what you mean. I'm starting to think it is just the plastic is slightly bent now...Does yours sit completely flush against the tank equally on both sides?
No, I'd say a couple of mm difference here and there, but who's measuring grin.png . Could be that the panel was tightened under tension and is bowing a bit. Undo the plastics on that side and have a look. This thread goes through the motions of removing the plastics and the tank to get at the ECU... will give you an idea how to get to where you need to look.
20180415_120837.jpg20180415_120912.jpg

You can see the difference from these photos. It seems to be fixed in place fine so I'm guessing it's jist been bent back slightly?

The left side looks like it missed the "tab catch" and is resting on top of it...no biggie, just follow the tread the remove the plastics to put the "tab" in right place...or the tab got bent, if so just push tab back down...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

The left side looks like it missed the "tab catch" and is resting on top of it...no biggie, just follow the tread the remove the plastics to put the "tab" in right place...or the tab got bent, if so just push tab back down... 

Yeah I had a look at it seems to be on the catch fine...so I can only assume it's been bent back by the garage. They said they couldn't fully remove the panel when fitting the quick shifter so had to just "pull back the plastics" to feed the wiring through.

Yeah I had a look at it seems to be on the catch fine...so I can only assume it's been bent back by the garage. They said they couldn't fully remove the panel when fitting the quick shifter so had to just "pull back the plastics" to feed the wiring through.
They bent the tab on the tank then to fish wiring through?... lazy bastards. Have them fix it, or... if you don't enjoy confrontation, undo the panels and voila... very easy fix. Look for cracks in the plastic.

Yeah they said they couldn't remove the panel as the LED indicators wiring had been soldered by the original dealer I bought the bike from...thus preventing the removal of the panel to pop off, so they had to just pull the panel back to fish the quick shifter wire through.......apparently. ? So if that is true then I'm assuming I'll have the same problem

Archived