• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Suspension settings

enx

Yes, another suspension thread.

Well, I have '17 Tracer 900 with stock suspension.
Can anybody tell me, what's the basic suspension adjustment for ~100kg guy. I don't know from where to start adjusting, and because this is my first bike, I don't even know what to expect. I'm well aware that the stock suspension isn't the brightest point of this bike, but I want to take maximum of it. Thats why i need some kind of reference point.

thanks ;)

Suspension tuning is a rabbit hole and a dark art. First thing would be setting the sag. However, based on your weight and knowledge of the bike, the springs rate(s) are wrong for you. So first question I have for you, do you want to spend money? If so, how much? Or do you want to turn dials to try and improve the stock suspension as best you can?

'15 FJ09

Stock springs aren't nearly stiff enough so you'll end up cranking the preload down most of the way. Stock rear shock preload settings might work for your weight.

Watch the video, grab a couple friends and a case of beer and play around with it.

Suspension tuning is a rabbit hole and a dark art. First thing would be setting the sag. However, based on your weight and knowledge of the bike, the springs rate(s) are wrong for you. So first question I have for you, do you want to spend money? If so, how much? Or do you want to turn dials to try and improve the stock suspension as best you can?
At first I'd like to improve stock suspension to see how much I can get from it. I know I'll have to replace it at some point.

And what were guys at Yamaha thinking with this springs? That the Tracers will ride only a teen girls? :P

At first I'd like to improve stock suspension to see how much I can get from it. I know I'll have to replace it at some point. 
And what were guys at Yamaha thinking with this springs? That the Tracers will ride only a teen girls? tongue.png

Then as mentioned above, first step will be setting sag. So grab some friends and a case of beer.. You'll almost certainly max out preload on both. Next is the hydraulics. Turn those all the way out, then count the number of turns to go all the way in. WRITE THAT NUMBER DOWN, YOU WILL FORGET. Especially if said friends and still there and the case of beer is nearly empty. Then back those hydraulic adjuster(s) 1/3rd the number of turns back out. That's a decent starting point. From here on, its just tinkering with the hydraulic adjuster(s) until you save up the $$ to replace the stock suspension. 
And the springs work of us short guys too! :)

Happy tuning!

'15 FJ09

Funny thing today.
At front I adjusted sag to 40mm without any difficulties. I tightened the adjuster to two and a half rings out.
On the rear I adjusted sag to 35mm with turning adjuster on shock on first level... yes first, the softest one.

I come up with this:
Front preload 2,5 rings out, rebound 9 clicks from soft.
Rear preload on first level, rebound 2 revs from soft.

This is probably not my final setting. I'll tell more tomorrow after a bit longer ride.

I'm really suprised about that rear shock :-S

Put a zip tie around the bottom of the fork and go ride with some heavy breaking , you will see you probably bottom out the suspension which is bad and will show you that you need different springs, get springs replaced at least and then maybe a re-valve by Matt or the gp suspension fork kit by Stoltec or local suspension shop. That's the least amount of $$ you will need to spend (and its really worth it), then look at rear shock if you need too.
I am at 110kg so close to you so I know the experience and know the stock wont cut it for you.

Archived