Front End Feels Light on Highway

Well the weather finally broke and I was able to ride about 15 miles on the expressway. I noticed at speeds 75mph and up to 85mph the front end had a sensation that it was light, wobbly almost. Wind speed was no more then 10 mph at tops.

I’m guessing suspension, but am looking for any insight.

I’m a husky petite 230lbs, probably add no more then 10lbs for gear.

Thanks for looking!

• Premium Member
Speed wobbles on this bike have been commented on before. Seems to most often occur at high 100+ speed when a shift of weight to the rear causes the front end to get light and susceptible to oscillation. Seems like the lighter you are the more likely you can adjust the stock suspension to compensate. I am “petite” like you and ended up upgrading the suspension on my ‘15. That worked for me. Good luck to you.

I’m a husky petite 230lbs, probably add no more then 10lbs for gear.
Preload alone won't really solve the problem. You need both fork and shock springs.

Any recommendations are appreciated. I know there’s a butt load of em out there I just wouldn’t have a clue for my weight.

230+15(gear)=245lb leads to 0.95kg/mm fork, 110N/mm (625lb/in) shock
But the OE shock spring is a custom length so if you insist on trying to use the OE shock (the rebound circuit can't cope with the beefier spring) you'll need a spacer. You really should get a $500-class shock at minimum (K-Tech Razor-Lite, Ohlins 335) and the fork springs.

230+15(gear)=245lb leads to 0.95kg/mm fork, 110N/mm (625lb/in) shock But the OE shock spring is a custom length so if you insist on trying to use the OE shock (the rebound circuit can't cope with the beefier spring) you'll need a spacer. You really should get a $500-class shock at minimum (K-Tech Razor-Lite, Ohlins 335) and the fork springs.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate the help!

Archived