Oil coming from CCT, gasket or faulty CCT?

fj09max

Hi,
I'm on my third CCT, 1x on a FZ09 2014 and 2x on a FJ09.  This one is at 42,000km.

In the past when the CCT was noisy I found myself manually adjusted it with a modified allen key.  Upon insertion the allen key was bouncing inside the CCT and 1/4 to 1/2 turn was enough to make it quiet and vibration free.  Then I new it was time to order a new one.

The first one have been done on the 2014 FZ09 before the 2016 recall by the dealership, they didn't have it in stock when I stop by and the noise and vibration were enough to prevent me to leave the shop with my bike, they gave me a loaner.

The second one have been done (2015 FJ09) when the TSB came out, frankly the dealership did it even if the one in place wasn't problematics.

The third one last year, too many manual adjustment were needed and I decided to change it before a long trip (4000 km) for peace of mind.

Now, and this is my main concern, in the past when I was manually adjusting the CCT(engine running) some motor oil was present but not enough to flow thru the CCT hole.  Last time I run the bike I left my garage and had some CCT noise and vibration thru the peg, I did stop and take my tool to give it a 1/4 of a turn but upon bolt removing oil was flowing thru it?  I did the adjustment, and bike ran fine from then. 

Yesterday I did ran the bike in a really sporty pace and on the lunch pause I did my usual all around inspection to discover the oil was seeping from the CCT gasket, enough to left an oily finish going between the clutch and CCT cover, even lower almost on the pan. 

The gasket haven't been replace last CCT change and I did my valve adjustment this winter requiring also to remove the CCT, so I know this could be gasket related, but I found the oil quantity to be quite important and I would like to have your feedback on this.  (Yes, the special head cover bolt and is washer are there and have'nt been mixup over the valve adjustment) 

How yours?

Thanks,
Max

Sounds like the gasket has croaked. My old DR650 had this happen and it was a mess!! I never pulled the CCT on that bike, the gasket just up and died. Would soak the whole damned engine in oil.

'15 FJ09

Replace the gasket. And make sure the tensioner is retracted before installing. Then set it per the service manual.

Honestly, you should not be monkeying with these tensioners unless you install an aftermarket unit. The factory tensioners are “set and forget”.

Oil from the cavity=normal. That’s one reason the bolt in the valve cover gets replaced on certain engines. It provides more oil flow to the tensioner body.

And BTW when you install tensioner, the plastic split ring (if required) faces DOWN.

Skip

Replace the gasket. And make sure the tensioner is retracted before installing. Then set it per the service manual.  
Honestly, you should not be monkeying with these tensioners unless you install an aftermarket unit. The factory tensioners are “set and forget”.

Oil from the cavity=normal. That’s one reason the bolt in the valve cover gets replaced on certain engines. It provides more oil flow to the tensioner body.

And BTW when you install tensioner, the plastic split ring (if required) faces DOWN.

Skip

Thanks Skip, finally did end up purchasing a new OEM tensioner kit (they had it in stock compare to ordering an APE) and replacing it myself last night. I was experiencing too much vibration and timing chain sounds (from time to time) to ride with it.

I learn (maybe I shouldn’t) to play with then OEM tensioner way back when end up loosing the pressure on my timing chain upon deceleration. The rattle and the vibration where really bad. I already had purchase the fizzer kit parts at an hardware store for emergency repairs(for my FZ09) as I was doing a lots of pretty long travel and the failure rate on the FZ was enough to be scare off. So when it happen I did adjust the OEM tensioner on the road with an Allen screw and the (then) famous fizzer kit, before replacing the complete unit before the TSB even came out.

Now, when the tensioner is wearing out (my experience is 18,000 to 22,000 km) the mechanism doesn’t seem to work at it should, so from time to time I was indeed helping the tensioner with a little bit more of 1/8 of a turn. Until the hex key stop bouncing around in the tensioner, barely putting pressure on it.

Anyway, long story now the timing chain is quiet and it shouldn’t let me down for another 20,000 km ;)

For study purpose, I did run the bike without the center bolt of the tensioner to see if oil was pouring from it, no it was not. I didn’t run the bike pretty long but for sure there was no oil coming from it.

Thanks for helping.

Archived