New Member Hi from New Zealand.

Hi all, own a 2016 XSR900 (Garage Metal), have joined this forum because same engine etc.  Have bought the Haynes Service Manual as intend to do much of the scheduled maintenance myself.  Have ordered a Carb Pro 4 manometer from the UK manufacturer getting ready for the 10k service.  Can someone explain why the USA service intervals are shorter (Haynes Manual pages 1.4 & 1.5)?

Returning to riding after a long break.  Test rode 16 different bikes; what a change since the 1980s.  Started with 1000 - 1200plus cc bikes, then rode a friends Honda NC750 then an older Yamaha FZ6 Fazer.  Like the feel of these smaller and lighter bikes and it made more sense as returning to bikes.  That bike made me shift my focus to midsized bikes (in the 1980s a 750 to 1000cc was still considered a large bike; excluding Harleys)  Had the MT-09 Tracer on my to test list.  The Yamaha XSR900 was the 16th bike I test rode, I liked it from the looks to the ergonomics, to the handling and fun factor.  Thought the naked bike would be a problem on 250km (150 miles) plus rides, but that hasn't been so.  Great air pressure on chest, so no weight on wrists, no helmet buffeting (Shoei GTAir); it just works for me.  The Yamaha Tracer would have had to be significantly better then the Triumph Tiger 800 if I chose a sport/tourer/adventure style bike.   The Triumph as at the top of my list till I rode the XSR900.   

Hi all, own a 2016 XSR900 (Garage Metal), have joined this forum because same engine etc.  Have bought the Haynes Service Manual as intend to do much of the scheduled maintenance myself.  Have ordered a Carb Pro 4 manometer from the UK manufacturer getting ready for the 10k service.  Can someone explain why the USA service intervals are shorter (Haynes Manual pages 1.4 & 1.5)? 
Returning to riding after a long break.  Test rode 16 different bikes; what a change since the 1980s.  Started with 1000 - 1200plus cc bikes, then rode a friends Honda NC750 then an older Yamaha FZ6 Fazer.  Like the feel of these smaller and lighter bikes and it made more sense as returning to bikes.  That bike made me shift my focus to midsized bikes (in the 1980s a 750 to 1000cc was still considered a large bike; excluding Harleys)  Had the MT-09 Tracer on my to test list.  The Yamaha XSR900 was the 16th bike I test rode, I liked it from the looks to the ergonomics, to the handling and fun factor.  Thought the naked bike would be a problem on 250km (150 miles) plus rides, but that hasn't been so.  Great air pressure on chest, so no weight on wrists, no helmet buffeting (Shoei GTAir); it just works for me.  The Yamaha Tracer would have had to be significantly better then the Triumph Tiger 800 if I chose a sport/tourer/adventure style bike.   The Triumph as at the top of my list till I rode the XSR900.   

Welcome Kiwi...eh Bro...from across the ditch in Aus... the triple motor on the MT/Tracer/XSR is pure gold!

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Hi Mike.  If there's a difference in service intervals not related to rounding of the km/miles conversion, I don't know why that would be. 

I took a lap around the South Island on a rented BMW 15 years ago.  Before that my wife and I took a motor coach tour of both islands.  Great memorable trips.  I read that much has changed on the surface since then.

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

Archived