Degradation in brakes

After sitting in a parking lot in the full sun all day there is some brake fade?  That is probably grossly overstated, lol.  But there is a lot more play in the brake lever.  Pretty sure it's just the hoses flexing/swelling with the heat.
Otherwise they are pretty awe inspiring.  :D
Maybe one day i will change out to stainless lines, probably not.  Probably instead i'll change the fluid and check the OEM lines for damage then call it good.

Can't say it's been an issue for me sitting or under aggressive street use. In my case would probably have to track it to provoke fade.

When I park outside I use a cover. Helps a bit with harmful effects of long-term sun, keeps the bird doo off, keeps the casual fool sitting on or otherwise molesting the bike, etc

Don't change my bikes to stainless lines for cosmetics or perceived performance/feel improvements but because they are usually lifetime lines as opposed to oem that need to be replaced on a schedule. With ABS it's a job I'd rather do once :)

If your bike is "old" and you haven't had the DOT brake fluid changed yet, it might have taking in some water. That lowers the boiling point, and having it already be quite hot from sitting in the sun, it could not take long to get it boiling.
(And when it's boiling you have no pressure)

• Premium Member
First step is to bleed the brakes, especially if you haven't done it in over a year. Easy do-it-yourself maintenance, just cover up the bike with a cloth. Brake fluid is very bad for painted surfaces.

Revzilla has a video showing how to do it. Tip: having another person to help, makes it go much quicker - one to pump the brake lever and another to open and shut the ports at the brakes.

Archived