Using a chain and padlock to secure your bike

Last week, whilst cleaning my teeth before bed, our security light by the garage clicked on, revealing two of our local youths stood between our 5 series BMW and the garage door. As UK police frown upon violent intervention, even when people are on your property, and take an even dimmer view on shooting people, I banged on the window and watched them run to our motorised gates and squeeze through the gap they had made by forcing the motor assemblies.

The bent arm of the gates was easily fixed with a lump hammer and we now have an uprated lock on them to stop a repeat performance. But, with five bike thefts a day on Merseyside and an astonishing 9% success rate for convictions of all kinds in the UK, I’m going to add a chain and ground anchor to the rest of the security I already have to the garage and bike.

So, if you use a chain with your FJ, which part of it do you put it through?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
If you draw a vertical line from the rear of the gas tank, right under the seat, there is a triangle space which you can route a cable (protected by rubber or plastic so you don't scratch the frame or other bike parts)

You can lock the chain to something permanent, such as an anchor in concrete, or a post.

That being said, if someone really wants it, they will still be able to take it. The hope is you don't run into someone who is serious about taking your bike, and knows what they are doing. The kind of protection I describe might stop someone from thinking your bike is an easy target of opportunity, but it won't keep the professional thief from taking your bike.

Best protection is inside a locked garage, but I recognize that's not possible for everyone.

Hope this helps,
Screen_Shot_2018-07-19_at_11.17.12_PM.png

phucking thieves. Makes me so mad.

I have my bike in a garage with two locks (internal and external locks).. And inside the bike is handlebar-locked and I have put a "ground anchor" in the wall and run a thick Abus chain to the front tire.
I know it's easy to just take off the wheel and put another one on, but at least it makes it a bit harder. I Should put the chain inside the bikes frame, but I think the chain will just be cut anyway..

And I hope the immobilizer will make it impossible to start. Maybe I should get a sign on the wall saying "IMMOBILIZER" or something like that?

Thanks for replies both. @David, that part of the frame was too small for my 13mm link chain so I had to put it through the rear wheel and then the ground anchor.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
Thanks for replies both. @david , that part of the frame was too small for my 13mm link chain so I had to put it through the rear wheel and then the ground anchor.
That works too....

Archived