SiriusXM Radio for FJ-09/Tracer (or any bike)

So, in the "grand scheme" of turning the FJ-09/Tracer into as much of a full-on touring bike as possible, I'm considering adding a SiriusXM Radio/Tuner.  Obviously, I know it is possible, but the real question is, is it feasible?  I Have a Garmin Zumo 595LM (using the hardwired mount/harness), as well as a Sena 20S EVO, so there are two possibilities for routing the audio:  via 3.5mm cable (connected between SiriusXM tuner & Garmin, as the Sena is paired to the Garmin), or via FM modulation (using the Sena's FM radio capability).  Does anyone else already have SiriusXM on their bike (NOT counting bikes with onboard stereo systems)?  If so, how did you go about adding it?  Also, as there are currently several different SiriusXM tuners that could be mounted (onyX Plus, onyX EZR, Stratus 7, CommanderTouch, and possibly others), which tuner model(s) is/are best choices for motorcycle use?  Satellite Radio Superstore (https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/) offers several pre-packaged kits, which include the tuner, handlebar mount/case, motorcycle antenna, and anything else needed...but, trying to decide on which one (especially the specific tuner) isn't as simple as just picking one.  In addition to the pre-packaged kits, they also sell individual components (everything found in all the kits, as well as numerous other choices, including other tuners).  Any ideas/suggestions?

• Premium Member
If they have a portable model with bluetooth thats what I would get, I used XM radios with a wired headset for years but stopped when I got my first Sena because they didn't have any units with bluetooth.
BLB

• Premium Member
So, in the "grand scheme" of turning the FJ-09/Tracer into as much of a full-on touring bike as possible, I'm considering adding a SiriusXM Radio/Tuner.  Obviously, I know it is possible, but the real question is, is it feasible?  I Have a Garmin Zumo 595LM (using the hardwired mount/harness), as well as a Sena 20S EVO, so there are two possibilities for routing the audio:  via 3.5mm cable (connected between SiriusXM tuner & Garmin, as the Sena is paired to the Garmin), or via FM modulation (using the Sena's FM radio capability).  Does anyone else already have SiriusXM on their bike (NOT counting bikes with onboard stereo systems)?  If so, how did you go about adding it?  Also, as there are currently several different SiriusXM tuners that could be mounted (onyX Plus, onyX EZR, Stratus 7, CommanderTouch, and possibly others), which tuner model(s) is/are best choices for motorcycle use?  Satellite Radio Superstore (https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/) offers several pre-packaged kits, which include the tuner, handlebar mount/case, motorcycle antenna, and anything else needed...but, trying to decide on which one (especially the specific tuner) isn't as simple as just picking one.  In addition to the pre-packaged kits, they also sell individual components (everything found in all the kits, as well as numerous other choices, including other tuners).  Any ideas/suggestions? 

I listen to SiriusXM on my bike using my iPhone with SiriusXM App. I connect via Bluetooth to my earbuds, but you could pair it to your Sena. I also use my iPhone on trips for GPS. The two apps integrate seemlessly as the iPhone reduces the sound of the music when GPS instructions are given. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I listen to SiriusXM on my bike using my iPhone with SiriusXM App. I connect via Bluetooth to my earbuds, but you could pair it to your Sena. I also use my iPhone on trips for GPS. The two apps integrate seemlessly as the iPhone reduces the sound of the music when GPS instructions are given. 
i considered this, but, unfortunately, there are two problems.  First, in regards to using the app on a phone while riding, you can't change stations without removing your gloves.  Even so-called "touch-friendly" gloves are known to have problems (I've tried on several pair, from different manufacturers, and i have yet to find any motorcycle gloves that can TRULY be using on a phone's screen).  It's for this reason I figured an actual tuner might be better, as they (with the exception of the CommanderTouch) have physical buttons.  The second problem has to do with data connectivity. For continuous audio, the SiriusXM app relies on 4G service...drop to 3G service, and, depending on signal strength, you can end up with "buffering".  Even worse, if you drop below 3G coverage...or lose data completely, you will have lost all music.  With an actual SiriusXM tuner (and antenna, typically mounted on the handlebars), the only time you will possibly lose signal is if you are under medium-to-heavy tree coverage, going through a tunnel, or under water (if you accidentally ride your bike off the end of a pier). 

Archived