• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Warped front brake rotor

metallion

I am fairly certain that i have a warped front brake rotor on my 2016 FJ. It started out gradual as a lopey out of round feeling only noticeable while coming to a stop but has now developed into a slight pulse while under braking. Curious to know if anyone else has had a rotor (or two) warp on them and what rotor did you replace it with? OEM or EBC? 

I've already cleaned / rotated the buttons and checked the wave washers but it did not help. I'm not even that hard on my front brakes since there is so much engine braking with this bike. This is my first Yamaha after many Buell's and a couple Triumph's. I've had to replace rotors on a couple of the Buell's that i owned that were a fairly common issue but never anything else so far. I bought this bike used less than a year ago with low miles 1,813 and it now has just over 5,300. 

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

• Premium Member
My front brakes have been developing a slight pulsing, of late - not bad enough to replace the rotors just yet but I'm guessing it won't be too far down the line that it'll be annoying enough for me to address.

Got 42,000km on the bike, though. Yours seems to be happening a bit early...

Curious to know what others have replaced with, too.

Mine has almost done it since new, should have brought it up to the shop but never wanted to stop riding long enough to bring it in haha. About 13k on it now and it is a pulsing only when slow on the brake coming into a light. Doesn't do it at high speeds. I will replace rotors when I do pads and see if it is better or not. But more then likely will be original unless good aftermarket is cheaper for the rotors.

My FJ got 84k miles - I experienced brake pulsing on and off and first also thought the rotors were warped. It turned out that the issue was always caused by worn front tires. When I changed the tire, the vibration was gone and came back after a while. There seems a bit of variation in this regard between different brands. Still got the first rotors and currently no vibration. The Dunlop RS3 seems not to produce this issue.

My FJ got 84k miles - I experienced brake pulsing on and off and first also thought the rotors were warped. It turned out that the issue was always caused by worn front tires. When I changed the tire, the vibration was gone and came back after a while. There seems a bit of variation in this regard between different brands. Still got the first rotors and currently no vibration. The Dunlop RS3 seems not to produce this issue.
Wow 84K miles congrats on that! I only have about 5.5K on mine and it still has the OEM tires on it. They are up for replacement very soon and i plan on installing the Dunlop RS3 on this bike also. I suppose it's possible that a worn tire could be the issue as it has gotten progressively worse in the last 2K miles or so. I am going to pick up a dial indicator so i can check the runout on the rotors first.  
Thank you for the tip!

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

I've got 67,500 on my 2015. I felt a minor pulsating on my rotors on month 1. It stayed that way for over 50,000 miles then got worse. I changed the brake fluid and it got better, but only as good as at first. It started to irritate me again and I had the swing arm and rear shock bearing repacked, and some other stuff and it came back from the shop with less pulsating, back to like at first. Not sure if it is the rotors. My front wheel is out of balance about 40 grams, and that makes me think it might be in the wheel.

If I hard brake to a stop it is a minor issue and almost unnoticeable, but if I come to a slow stop, it gets hard to regulate. It's okay right now because it isn't bad, but something isn't right. I don't believe it's the tires as it does it with any tire I put on. PR2-3-4s, RS-3s, etc.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived