Cigarette Lighter Adapter to Power BMW Heated Vest

bikefanatic

IMG_0269.jpg

I installed a second cigarette lighter power source on my FJ09 to power a 12V heated vest.  The BMW vest I bought uses the mini euro size plug in.

I think the pictured item that came with the vest is a Hella Din cigarette lighter adaptor male plug to coax female.

I need an adaptor so I can power it with my cigarette lighter power source and not have to run a battery lead.

I thought there would be a simple solution but I can't figure one out.

Anyone else had this problem or know a solution?

I installed a Powerlet-brand socket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LB4ACSO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did not install it on the headlight nacelle - I fabricated a bracket that mounted the socket to the passenger peg mount in the same location as my old BMW K75S (which I think is an ideal location). Powerlets are far more secure than a cigarette-type socket. 

If you are using the factory wiring to connect the socket, it may not have enough amperage to power a heated vest. A direct lead to the battery would give you the most heat. 

20180930_071216.jpg

I installed a Powerlet-brand socket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LB4ACSO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  
I did not install it on the headlight nacelle - I fabricated a bracket that mounted the socket to the passenger peg mount in the same location as my old BMW K75S (which I think is an ideal location). Powerlets are far more secure than a cigarette-type socket. 

If you are using the factory wiring to connect the socket, it may not have enough amperage to power a heated vest. A direct lead to the battery would give you the most heat. 

20180930_071216.jpg

I used thus socket to power my GPS.  The fuse on the OEM wiring harness won't power a heated vest/jacket.  For my Gerbing, I have a Gerbing coax cable direct to the battery.  When I'm not riding, I use a coax to SAE connector to connect to my Battery Tender.  Battery Tender cable will work with a Gerbing, but the voltage loss is more because of the smaller wire gauge.

• Supporting Member
I installed a genuine Powertlet outlet into the LHS fairing for this same purpose. Direct wired to mains... fused of course. Also replaced the outlet on the console with a Powerlet type (eBay). Solid accessory connection.

14_powerlet.jpg

powerlet_open.png

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Archived