Hello from Edmonton, Canada

knyte

• Supporting Member
Hey all,

Sat on a 2015 FJ-09 at a dealership here in Edmonton a couple of weeks ago, and instantly felt at home on it!

I'm 6', approx 33" inseam, and about as flexible as a toothbrush.  I can't ride many bikes aside from upright & neutral riding positions.  I felt very comfortable on a 2002 V-Strom DL1000, as it was set up for a tall guy - mirror extenders, tall windshield, 3" peg lowering kit, Corbin seat.  Fell in love instantly.  However, I've gone down twice (once due to cold & wet road paint, once offroad & made a small mistake), each resulting in injuries to the lower extremities that each took about a year to recover from (still recovering from the second).  In short, as much as I love the DL1000, it's too heavy for me.  I'm 180 lbs and genetically scrawny!  The knobby tires have been a bit too tempting, and I end up doing things on a heavy bike that I shouldn't do.  Now, I'm not blaming the bike - not one bit.  However, my other half would really like me to sell it!!

So, when she pointed out that fantastic red bike across the showroom, I was intrigued.  Gee, it stands pretty tall.  Hey, I can flat foot both feet on this thing.  Hey - it's an upright riding position!!  After looking at all the features, the FJ-09 really seems like a good fit.  It's comfortable, manageable, powerful, high tech, and while the aftermarket may not be as strong as it is for the V-Stroms and such of the world - there is plenty enough available to keep me happy.

Well, hurry up and wait for spring...should be plenty of time to recover and get prepared between now and then.  Can't wait for some mountain rides to Vancouver.

Thanks for reading, hope to see some of you on the open road!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member
The issues with the 2015 IMO are:

- Oil drain plug location. Have a look. No off-roading for you. Think twice before even hopping a curb!
- Too much rear weight bias. This isn't a huge big deal; TCS regulates your wheelies!
- Stock hand-guards are large and ineffective. Oh well.
- Somewhat jerky fuel[l]ing

All of these have been addressed by 2019.

But none of them will prevent you from enjoying the FJ immensely, and laughing all the way to the bank on the great deal you'll get!

Make sure they change the oil before you ride it. Maybe balance the tires too?

• Supporting Member
Thanks for the replies and warm welcome smiley.png
So far none of those things worry me. I don't plan on any offroading at all - and it looks like an ECU flash helps a lot smiley.png

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member
Thanks for the replies and warm welcome smiley.png So far none of those things worry me. I don't plan on any offroading at all - and it looks like an ECU flash helps a lot smiley.png
The oil plug is the low point of the bike on the '15 model, so even if you are street riding, you are at risk of hitting the plug and busting your oil pan all over the road. Easiest fix is to get the Volkswagen oil plug screw, which is flush, and removes the oil pan from the low point on the bike. Same threads as the FJ-09 oil plug screw, although it is Torx, not standard. 
Simple fix for a few dollars, for a lot of peace of mind.......

Not a reason to not buy the bike, but some advice to ensure you have a positive experience.....

• Supporting Member
Totally get it, and...totally getting one.  Thanks for that.  Was just reading the skid plate discussion thread and saw
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Oil-Sump-Drain-Plug-fits-2016-Yamaha-R1-90340-14019-00-PSR0206-/311557082474?hash=item488a3fcd6a:g:ppcAAOSwezVW1GZf&vxp=mtr

• Premium Member

Archived