Hard to Start

I’ve had a puzzling issue I’m hoping for some help with. My 2016 FJ is sometimes hard to start; the circumstances are as follows: the bike has reached full operating temperature, and I’ll stop for a short time, like 5-15 minutes. The bike will not start just by pressing the starter button, and it’s cranking normally. Only by opening the throttle wide open for a couple attempts does it start again. Sometimes I can small fuel. This problem only happens sporadically; there is no pattern to it. The bike is well maintained and ridden every week. It never happens when the bike is cold.  The bike has 19K miles on it.

Mine seemed to crank well, it would fire but if I let go of the starter it would die. I had to hold the starter and let it fire a few times then it would start up. This could happen with the bike warm or cold. Under the theory that maybe the voltage was dropping too low during cranking to power the spark plugs or some other key prerequisite to a running motor, I swapped out the battery with a new one.

Since then, it's started flawlessly. I note, too, that this is an easy step to take, didn't require much time, and wasn't wildly expensive, so it might be worth trying. To be thorough you could check your voltage during cranking and see if that suggests a battery issue.

• Premium Member
On 12/3/2018 at 5:52 PM, samqhill said:

Mine seemed to crank well, it would fire but if I let go of the starter it would die. I had to hold the starter and let it fire a few times then it would start up. This could happen with the bike warm or cold. Under the theory that maybe the voltage was dropping too low during cranking to power the spark plugs or some other key prerequisite to a running motor, I swapped out the battery with a new one.

Since then, it's started flawlessly. I note, too, that this is an easy step to take, didn't require much time, and wasn't wildly expensive, so it might be worth trying. To be thorough you could check your voltage during cranking and see if that suggests a battery issue.

Had same problem, starts and runs great after replacing battery!  

Archived