New owner.

mickey63

Afternoon All

I've been lurking for a while without signing up.... normal story of wanting to read owner reviews to get any idea on the Tracer 900,  not owning the bike didn't feel I could add anything to the forum.

I currently own a Yamaha MT07, had it for the last two years and it's been a cracking little machine. Its just with a recent job move of location, I'm doing a lot more motorway miles to/from work , I decided I needed (read, wanted) something a bit bigger.

I narrowed my search down to a few machines . Kawasaki Versys 1000, Suzuki V-Strom1000,  Honda Africa Twin, BMW F850GS and finally the Yamaha Tracer 900 . Tracer won the argument of size, price and it helped that I already has a good relationship with the dealer. I ordered a 2019 Phantom Blue Tracer 900GT this morning, with an estimated beginning of March delivery.

Roll on the good weather....

Mick

Welcome(from another newbie)... i understand were you coming from. I got tired of trying to make my mt-10 a  tourer(even had the givi tour pack on) so i went ahead an purchased a '17 fj-09. It really pains me but the mt-10 hasn't seen much road since the fj arrived....lol 

• Premium Member

Interested to hear your pains with trying to make a tourer out of a MT-10, @Squid4Life, as I have occasional flights of fancy that direction, myself.

Got a chance to test ride a MT-10 last summer and that engine is a masterpiece. So docile and smooth for puttering about. And then you whomp on it and then it turns into an instant laxative (honestly, officer, that first wheelie was a total accident...the second and third perhaps less so, I confess...).

What were it's major sticking points as a tourer, if I may ask (fuel range? wind buffeting? exhaust note attracting fruit flies...?)? 

7 hours ago, upshift said:

Interested to hear your pains with trying to make a tourer out of a MT-10, @Squid4Life, as I have occasional flights of fancy that direction, myself.

Got a chance to test ride a MT-10 last summer and that engine is a masterpiece. So docile and smooth for puttering about. And then you whomp on it and then it turns into an instant laxative (honestly, officer, that first wheelie was a total accident...the second and third perhaps less so, I confess...).

What were it's major sticking points as a tourer, if I may ask (fuel range? wind buffeting? exhaust note attracting fruit flies...?)? 

All of the above..the 10 is an absolute blast to ride.  My wife is on the small size(4'11 & 110lbs) comfort seat and givi blade v46 top case and she was ok. I have the oem "touring" windshield and is useless but i guess better than nothing(atleast i can put my ezpass..smh). Fuel range(as you may heard) is absolute Crap after 100 miles or so (stock form  once you do exhaust and reflash and ride it like you stole it) it becomes 90 miles for me you Have to look for a gas station. I was looking for something "sporty" and comfortable (insert fj here). Found a '17 with 2,300 miles at a great price so we jump on it. Only rode it once(gotta love winter.) But it was great. Pass comfort was great, plenty of room for storage and fuel range was Amazing(compared to the 10).

• Premium Member

Thanks for the report, @Squid4Life.

Agreed that the FJ/Tracer is great package that combines performance, comfort, and economy. There are definitely bikes out there that do any one of those things better but few (none?) that provide the whole set, along with the hard-to-quantify grin factor this bike does. My roving eye occasionally leads me to other suitors but I always end up back at that cross-plane triple, smiling like a tomcat when she lets out a yowl and leaps into action.

Good luck waiting patiently for riding season - can't be easy with a new purchase whispering from the garage...

Archived