New owner in Texas

grim

Hello Everyone,

Well, I made the deal and I'm now the proud owner of a new matte gray FJ-09!

It's been about 20 years since I did any serious amount of motorcycling and since I moved my youngest daughter off to college last Fall I thought it would be a good time to ride my own again. After looking at a number of other bikes, I thought the FJ-09 was the most fun and a good fit for my size and skills. I pick it up Tuesday night here in Ft Worth and will have it with me for a few weeks until it's shipped to our new home in Alexandria, VA.

This forum looks like a good place to be to get learn more about the bike and everyone riding it.

Jeff

• Premium Member
Hello Everyone, 

It's been about 20 years since I did any serious amount of motorcycling and since I moved my youngest daughter off to college last Fall I thought it would be a good time to ride my own again. After looking at a number of other bikes, I thought the FJ-09 was the most fun and a good fit for my size and skills. I pick it up Tuesday night here in Ft Worth and will have it with me for a few weeks until it's shipped to our new home in Alexandria, VA.

This forum looks like a good place to be to get learn more about the bike and everyone riding it.

Jeff

Welcome aboard. Lots of good information here. Still waiting on lots of vendors to get on board, like exhaust vendors and suspension vendors. This bike is becoming very popular, so it is just a matter of time.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest eatpasta
Hello Everyone, 

Jeff

welcome back, brother.  Im sure you'll quickly see how much has changed.  Hell even in the past 10 years the motorcycle world has essentially flipped on its head. 
  Congrats on the bike and welcome to the site!!

Hello Everyone, 

Jeff

welcome back, brother.  Im sure you'll quickly see how much has changed.  Hell even in the past 10 years the motorcycle world has essentially flipped on its head. 

I was just having a conversation with someone about that.  They were commenting how dangerous bikes were, and I started running through what it was like 20 years ago on my old Honda Shadow.  I used to drive in an open faced helmet (that was too big for my head) and a "boxing week special" leather jacket with a pair of runners on a daily commute that, at one point, included probably the busiest road in the province...in the dark.  Now, we get traction control, ABS, high vis armoured jackets, reinforced riding boots and auxiliary LED lighting.   
For me, part of the "work" associated with getting back on the bike has been getting up to speed on what is available in terms of gear, accessories or options.  I've watched more RevZ videos since I decided to buy the FJ than I should probably admit.

Needless to say, the advice here on the site has been invaluable.

Guest eatpasta

Needless to say, the advice here on the site has been invaluable.
we already have a lot of talented people on here that are going to make this site amazing.  Once this place starts to pick up some steam, it's going to be an incredible resource for FJ info. 
    As far as safety goes, definitely plan on adding some after market LED's to the front of the bike.  I had a pair of big PIAA's on my 1150GS for a long time and i cannot tell you how many accidents they kept me out of probably just because people thought I was a cop or something.
     I would say that's the #1 thing to add to a bike nowadays - they are so cheap and you can mount them dammed near anywhere....

Tonight was the first night I had a chance to ride the new bike and it was beautiful. The temperature’s about 76F with a light breeze. Kids playing baseball at nearby park, people out walking their dogs, and the smell of Texas BBQ in the air on 26 heading south through Colleyville. Even one of the local police officers said “Nice bike” at the light. After about 25 miles of riding around with a smile so big I needed to have a helmet on to avoid scaring kids and slightly saner adults, I parked her in the driveway. It was a perfect first ride. I always remember the first ride.

Anyway, this forum, where I’ve been lurking a bit, feels like walking into a cigar shop in a new town and finding everyone there friendly and smoking the same stick I do. What a great place!

Thanks to all of you that have already populated this forum with so much good information. I enjoy it all and I’m looking forward to what’s to come.

Jeff

Guest eatpasta
Tonight was the first night I had a chance to ride the new bike and it was beautiful. The temperature’s about 76F with a light breeze. Kids playing baseball at nearby park, people out walking their dogs, and the smell of Texas BBQ in the air on 26 heading south through Colleyville. Even one of the local police officers said “Nice bike” at the light. After about 25 miles of riding around with a smile so big I needed to have a helmet on to avoid scaring kids and slightly saner adults, I parked her in the driveway. It was a perfect first ride. I always remember the first ride. 
Anyway, this forum, where I’ve been lurking a bit, feels like walking into a cigar shop in a new town and finding everyone there friendly and smoking the same stick I do. What a great place!

ahhhh the magic of a first ride....I can only imagine.    Light up that cigar!!

friday_zpszdqtroie.gif

Archived