Gear Indicator

Quick question about the gear indicator. I've ridden 2 bikes with gear indicators and each behaved differently. I have not had the pleasure of riding the FJ so I hope someone here can answer my question. The HD Ultra Limited had an indicator but it only worked when the clutch was released. This means if you pull the clutch in you can no longer see what gear you are in until you've completely committed to the gear. The v strom I test drove was always on and changed instantly when you hit the foot pedal. This allowed you to skip several gears at once and have reassuring feedback that you got into the gear you wanted before you committed by releasing the clutch. To me the HD indicator was down right useless. I've never needed an indicator but have had some instances where I wish I had one. Every one of those times I had already pulled the clutch in. Does the FJ indicator work like the HD or more like the v strom?

Thanks!

The FJ always shows the current gear. As soon as you hit the pedal, the gear changes on the display. Not going to lie, it's glitched a few times. Once I was accelerating down the street, when according to the bike I was in neutral. Other times it's just been a few seconds slow to change.

Rare occurrences. For the most part, it's fairly bang on.

Good to hear.  Thank you.  To be fair, from what I've read about the v strom, it is similarly glitchy at times too.  I think it's just the nature of trying to put a sensor on a mesh transmission.  I'd still prefer the occasional glitch to the way the HD works.  Thanks again!

Archived