Seat compatible? GT seat on 2015 model?

robski

1 hour ago, robski said:

My question: Does a GT seat fit on a 2015 Tracer/FJ09?

Definitely 'no'.   I posted a reply from Yamaha to me to the same question on July 3rd.   The seat pans are entirely different.   And IMHO and in fairness after only a cuppla short outings on it, the GT seat did not suit me at all.   YMMV.   My earlier comments follow:

Sitting on the new seat it is apparent that it’s a good deal firmer than the OE Tracer plank, while visually it's much more attractive with its contrast stitching and better shape.   The original hideous torture device was really bargain-basement in both looks and performance.   

I think the new perch gives a slightly higher seated position that the original, and I can only just flat-foot with it in its lowest position.  But although it’s early days the new seat does not seem to offer me any improvement in comfort, being hard and unyielding and slipping me forwards on braking and when over lumpy sections of road.    In fact today’s outing combining the seat’s discomfort and the (stock) suspension’s harshness was about as uncomfortable as any ride that I can recall: I believe I left a trail of dental fillings behind me, and certainly wouldn’t even consider longer rides or multi-day touring at present.  

With some long-ish tours planned, but also for shorter outings like today’s I may have to find another $450 - $500 for an aftermarket replacement seat, which is very disappointing.   And for a preferred BAGSTER seat from France it’s going to be a long wait, as I understand that due to the need for new seat pans first production of GT seats may be ten weeks away (early October?).   This is about the time I'd planned to depart for a ~4,500 trip north, so it may be delayed unless the stock seat breaks-in nicely - but I'm not holding my breath!    What are others' experiences with the GT seat I wonder.

A cautionary word here: the GT’s seat pans are markedly different to those on the Gen1 Tracers: those owners hoping to transfer an existing aftermarket seat will find it does not fit, and anyone ordering a new aftermarket seat is warned that ordering for a Gen1 Tracer will also not work, as the following to me from Yamaha states:.

Good afternoon Lawrence,

Thank you for contacting Yamaha Motor Australia.

The Rider and Pillion seats for the 2019 model MT-09 TRACER GT are unique to the following models:

0?ui=2&ik=5c622e6436&attid=0.3&permmsgid=msg-f:1638006226180953316&th=16bb5dfbf364d4e4&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ91DhXog2PiQ-vQ9Dj5rWlSa_NzHLar2quTyhoiUGTHD1I0vRT3pwSj-NVoR9aavKc31iicwH3F9JafsTjusnRLjRtTSjUbMWuaEn5yWL8kAVyCOzAiABbZfTY&disp=emb

As you can see, the Rider and pillion seats for the GT models are unique to the GT models and the 2019 model Tracer (standard edition). The earlier MT-09 Tracer seats cannot be interchanged with the later or GT models.

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.