I finally sold my harley and now am looking for a new bike.  

I'm torn between two bikes at the moment.  2015 FJ09 for $6k and a gen 2 2009 FZ1 for $4k, both come with hard bags. 

I have ridden both and find the FJ09 more comfortable, a hell of a lot of fun to ride, but the suspension is very soft.  I'm 6ft and 275lbs and although I could change the suspension I wouldn't have the money to do that for at least a year or two.

The FZ1 is not quite as comfortable but seems to handle my weight better.  It's also a fun ride but different to FJ09's triple.  It reminds me of a faster FZ6 which I used to own.  

I've tried reading about both bikes but they don't seem to be compared together often, which I understand.

Anyone here gone from a FZ1 to a FJ09?

• Supporting Member
45 minutes ago, DrunkyMcAwesome said:

Anyone here gone from a FZ1 to a FJ09?

Prior to owning my '15 FJ, I owned a 2006 FZ1 but totaled it hitting a deer.  It was a fantastic bike with fantastic suspension and handled like a dream. 

The FZ1 had more overall power but the FJ's power is more linear and you can pull forever smoothly in any gear, at about 8k rpm on the FZ1 you better be hanging on, at that point things get exciting very quickly.  Passing was effortless on the FZ1, on the FJ I have to downshift every time.  When I first bought the FJ I was concerned about "downgrading" to 850cc, not to worry, this motor is a gem!  The power delivery is absolutely linear and this motor loves to be revved.

Suspension goes without saying, budget components and under sprung.  I upgraded both immediately.

Ergonomics and comfort are more sporty on the FZ1, more forward reach and bent knees than the FJ.  Both had terrible seats, I put a custom built seat on both, the FZ1's stock screen wasn't bad.

The FZ1 is outdated with the most advanced technology being fuel injection, to some that doesn't matter while others want modern tech.  I have to admit, ABS, TC and drive modes are NOT selling points for me however being able to plug in and install factory heated grips and a cruise control or swap to an assist/slipper clutch is very nice.

I used both the FZ1 and FJ for a mix of weekend canyon and mountain twisties as well as week-long road trips and both perform admirably, as much as I miss my FZ1, I am glad that I now have the FJ.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***