Hello from Penang Malaysia

Stinky

Hey guys, Kyle here. Just purchased a 2019 Tracer 900 GT here in Penang Malaysia. I've been a long time Yamaha off road rider and this is my first step into street bikes. The wife said "no mas" to off road biking and insisted that I get a hobby we can do together. So HELLO to couples touring!!

The bikes here in Malaysia are really stripped down. There area all kinds of import duty "work arounds" here to keep the prices reasonable. So my bike literally has NOTHING on it. No side boxes, no frame protection, no nothing.

So right now I am in search of some bike protective gear. It looks like I can get Givi engine crash guards here in Malaysia. Does anyone here recommend more crash protection on the bike? I see axle guards and also little doo dads that are on the swing arm. Do those really help?

I am also looking to get a Givi pipe/oil pan underguard. The roads here in Malaysia can go from really nice to really bad in about 20 meters!!

So thanks in advance for all the help and I hope I can contribute.

• Thumbsup 1

Welcome to the forum! The one thing that brings all of us humans together.. we always find a way to dodge the tax man, even just a little haha.

Personally I don't think axle sliders are worth much. The Givi crash bars are about all you'll need. Good luck!

'15 FJ09

Koth...Thanks for the advice!! I'm super lucky that there are so many awesome riding adventures so close to me. Riding the Malaysia Peninsula, Thailand, Viet Nam, Laos...they are all less than three hours away!! 

And the bonus here is that there are scores of people who are retired early that have the bikes, the time, and desire to do touring rides. I promise I will post up some of our adventures.

• Thumbsup 1