Handlebar Top Cap Direction

So I'm kind of an attention to detail freak with my machines, as mechanical failure by set up or maintenance is not an option for me. So when I buy a machine new or used, the first thing I do is re-check the torque of installed bolts, cable routing, fluids ect. And as I was doing so I happened to find that my handlebar to caps were installed backwards and improperly. Although it looks as it was installed correctly the setup manual specifically states that it should be installed with the angled part of the cap forward, with the punch mark on the handlebars on the lower left cap aligned and the front bolts tightened first closing the tolerance on the front, then tightening the rears first. I had to take off the caps and correct this on mine. Probably not a huge safety issue, but be sure your caps are installed this way per the manual.
FgOapJ6.jpg?1zlBMHbP.jpg?2

So I'm kind of an attention to detail freak with my machines, as mechanical failure by set up or maintenance is not an option for me. So when I buy a machine new or used, the first thing I do is re-check the torque of installed bolts, cable routing, fluids ect. And as I was doing so I happened to find that my handlebar to caps were installed backwards and improperly. Although it looks as it was installed correctly the setup manual specifically states that it should be installed with the angled part of the cap forward, with the punch mark on the handlebars on the lower left cap aligned and the front bolts tightened first closing the tolerance on the front, then tightening the rears first. I had to take off the caps and correct this on mine. Probably not a huge safety issue, but be sure your caps are installed this way per the manual. FgOapJ6.jpg?1zlBMHbP.jpg?2

Just an FYI. To move the bars (I think it's) 10 mm closer to the rider those caps would be installed with the angled part facing to the rear of the bike, because you rotate the lower mounts 180 degrees. The bars will then be closer to the rider and the caps must rotate as well.

The setup manual doesn't mention the adjustment procedure IIRC.
Enjoy the bike!

-skip

• Premium Member
Just an FYI. To move the bars (I think it's) 10 mm closer to the rider those caps would be installed with the angled part facing to the rear of the bike, because you rotate the lower mounts 180 degrees. The bars will then be closer to the rider and the caps must rotate as well.  
The setup manual doesn't mention the adjustment procedure IIRC.
Enjoy the bike!

-skip
This is not necessarily true. The angled part still needs to face forward if moved 10mm. Structurally it is the same, will fit either way, but the angled part has threaded holes under it that may be used for some future mod, plus the angled part would glide by cables easier. Either way is fine, but facing forward is preferred.  
20150116_100119_zpsg76s17b2.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Skipper I agree that the caps would need to be reversed if the handlebar risers are reversed. Although they can be physically installed backwards, the machining is slightly different and the gap at the front of the bar cap (in the stock position) won't close if they are installed backwards. There is noticeable binding when tightening the clamps if installed backwards. In the stock position the front most cap bolt should be tightened first where there is no gap in the front then the lower bolt torqued 2nd.

• Premium Member
Skipper I agree that the caps would need to be reversed if the handlebar risers are reversed. Although they can be physically installed backwards, the machining is slightly different and the gap at the front of the bar cap (in the stock position) won't close if they are installed backwards. There is noticeable binding when tightening the clamps if installed backwards. In the stock position the front most cap bolt should be tightened first where there is no gap in the front then the lower bolt torqued 2nd.
Zero problems with mine, zero. I will stick with the angled part facing forward with the clamps reversed to get the 10mm. plus it will look dumb facing towards the rider. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived