how much of a hooligan bike is the FJ (Tracer)?

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

I got rid of my speed triple 1050 which I had since 2007 for my FJ.
I know exactly your concerns so let me throw in my 2 cents in a few short sentences.
Yes, the FJ does have hooligan DNA, but it is sooo easy to ride without tapping into that hooligan nature. However it's always there if you want it. Kinda like that short bald fat bloke in the pub who minds his own business but you know you don't want to f*ck with him.
I'm still riding in the break in period (first 600 miles below 5500rpms) and I'm loving it. It's such a relaxing ride. I've spent much of that time in B mode which is really sedate (albeit with a bit of a sloppy throttle response), but put it in A mode and it changes noticeably, and when you ride it above that 5500rpms the bike gets nice and lively.
I'm so happy I got rid of the speed triple. I loved that bike but the FJ reminds me of it so much that I don't miss it. It really feels like a jack of all trades kind of bike. I plan on doing lots of sports touring and I've spent a couple of long(ish) days riding it and it's proven very comfortable (but it needs a larger wind shield)
Hope that helps. Any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Rich

Wessie, I don't need to do tricks to enjoy riding either - I was looping MX bikes in my teens - forty years ago.  I doubt I would heal as fast now as I did then. Getting past the "chicken lines" :)) on the tires in a well maintained corner will always be something I enjoy. I also moderate my style considerably with a passenger behind me on any bike.  Something to be said for adulthood, which I've managed to survive into.  The FJ gives me what I want.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I thought this as good a place as any to speak my piece on my experience after 800 miles on my 2015 FJ-09. I have had a range of bikes (Kawasaki KLR 650, HD Road King and Fat Boy, BMW K1200S, Ducati 1098S and I just got off a highly modified KTM Super Duke 990). All over the board, ending up with that KTM "hooligan bike". I gave a lot of thought to what was next. Getting a little older, so having a little more comfort was a factor. I started looking at some touring options but every thing seemed so big. I am 6ft, 210 and a very proficient rider, so handling bike bikes I do not see as a problem. I just know the type of riding I do, and a huge tourer was not needed (and I thought I would fall asleep on one). I looked to "sport tourers" and wanted to make sure that whatever I got serious about had plenty of sport. Ducati has their Multistrada, BMW is launching their new S1000XR and then I saw the FJ-09.
I have only had her for a short time, but so far, she's my favorite out of anything I have owned. Sure there is newness factor here, but I think I really fell in love after having a REAL ride yesterday. 300 miles of wide open spaces with plenty of high speed sweeping turns. What a job this thing did. I was riding with two buddies, one on a Duc Panigale and the other on a Duc Street Fighter and they could not stop talking about the Yamaha.
For me this bike is a perfect mix of power, control and convenience. I have not had bags on a bike since my Harley days, and am really glad to have the option of actually bringing things now and not wearing a back pack or shoving things into my jacket like a kid. My wife actually asks to go for a ride now and likes the useable back seat. After tightening down the front suspension (a lot), I like the way it handles at speed now, and am confident riding my "spirited" rides. I find that I really DO use the different mode settings. B really smooths things out in traffic or around town and the A mode really wakes that 3 banger up!
This bike is my "swiss army knife" and I am having a blast!
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Sold: KTM Super Duke 990, Ducati 1098S, BMW K1200S, HD Fat Boy, HD Road King Classic, Kawasaki KLR 650

Archived