Suspension Tweak 90Kg/198lb Rider.

aussietracer

Since taking ownership of my Tracer I had noticed the wobble in and out of corners, and the head wobble when getting on the gas any higher then 140kmh/86mph. The head wobble was so bad I could get it started with aggressive active countersteering (pushing on bars).
Decided to tweak the suspension to see how it went.
Tyres- Fr36psi, R38psi
Rider- 90Kg with gear.
Luggage- minimum.
Forks
Standard Settings- 16mm Compression, 7 clicks from full hard
New Settings- 14mm Compression, 6 clicks from full hard

Rear Shock.
My shock didnt have markings but assuming they are set to standard like the forks...
Standard Settings- 1.5 turns from full hard rebound, Setting 4 for preload/compression.
New Settings- .5 turns from full hard rebound, Setting 6 for preload/compression.

The bike handles itself better in the corners, particularly under throttle leaving the apex (no more bouncing). I couldn't induce head wobble, even under spirited throttle mid corner or on the straight.

I might dial the rear back .5 turn, Set. 5 in the future but for the mean time the bike rides like my dearly departed Triumph.

EDIT: Forgot to add, the TCS lights up a bit more getting on the gas, especially out of the corner, might be because the power isnt being lost to the rear shock.

• Premium Member
do you set pressures lower in Oz due to the heat? For the UK the rear tyre pressure is 42psi, same front at 36psi
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Hi & welcome aussietracer!
I noticed your previous bike was a 2015 STR, I must admit I looked at that same bike before the Yammy was released. Does the Triumph have wide bars similar to the Tracer?
I'm asking this because maybe you're not used to having wider bars? Even the smallest inputs can induce massive steering wobbles especially under acceleration.
Though, your suspension changes give me a baseline to begin with since we are about the same weight (prior to having beers) so I'll work with that.
please continue to write reports on your progress from both an ownership & suspension perspective.
Lucky you have yours now to enjoy it!
Cheers,
Steve

Cheers mate, the bars are very similar in length.
I backed the rear susp off 1 click+ halfturn ccw and its brought the wobbles back at 160kmh+ and slight wobble getting hard into the corners.
Again silly speeds and shenanigans so if you're sensible it won't do anything to narly.

Forks Standard Settings- 16mm Compression, 7 clicks from full hard
New Settings- 14mm Compression, 6 clicks from full hard

Rear Shock.
My shock didnt have markings but assuming they are set to standard like the forks...
Standard Settings- 1.5 turns from full hard rebound, Setting 4 for preload/compression.
New Settings- .5 turns from full hard rebound, Setting 6 for preload/compression.

Ok just making sure I have this straight. I'm no mechanic. I just want to make sure I made the correct adjustments that you made.

186LUiz.jpg
I'm showing 5 lines on front preload... measures just above a half inch (0.551181)

4NbA9Ok.jpg
Rebound Turning clockwise to full hard. Then 6 clicks toward soft

XEcnYdb.jpg

Rear rebound turn clockwise to full hard the one half turn toward soft

wnydfQb.jpg
Next to last one (6) on rear preload

2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

Hey bud I just saw you PM and quote lol.
Everything so far is AOK, but the rear shock may be too stiff at set6, as it is my shock is at set4 (backed off from set5).
I noticed the steering is less twitchy but no wobbles at set5, set4 is a equal compromise.
Remember to do both forks for compression.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Aussietracer, I tried your settings at the weekend. I am about 90kg with the gear on; I find your settings an excellent starting point that I may try and refine to my own needs at some stage in the future.
Never had a chance to try and provoke head wobble, but cruised quite comfortably at 90/95. Felt more composed in the corners and when accelerating and braking.

Thanks for posting!

I'm probably real close to 90kg with all gear, so I will try your settings too. I am able to induce headshake as well on spirited runs, doesn't bother me as I'm used to it as my K L R does it easily haha. Thanks for posting your settings!

Archived