loud fuel pump all of a sudden

the other day i noticed that the fuel pump was making a loud irritating whirring noise that is audible over the scorpion exhaust. if i have my visor open, its not as noticable, but with the visor closed, it would give me a headache after a while. it sounds like the pump is resonating against the metal of the fuel tank, but i dont see how thats possible since its in the plastic housing. i noticed it happened after i came down a little hard from a wheelie, so i thought maybe the fuel pump shifted in the housing? anyone else experience this? BTW, my bike only has about 1200 miles on it.

• Supporting Member

That’s a new one to me...  doesn’t look like you’re getting much feedback here.   I assume the bike is still running ok?   Does it sound weird when you first turn the key on & you hear the various noises when the fuel system primes?  

I can’t image that landing a wheelie a little hard would damage a fuel pump, but who knows... 

• Supporting Member

If it's still under warranty  take it back to the dealer and leave out the wheelie part. You might want to check all the mounting bolts for the tank and make sure they are still there and tight.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

9 hours ago, texscottyd said:

That’s a new one to me...  doesn’t look like you’re getting much feedback here.   I assume the bike is still running ok?   Does it sound weird when you first turn the key on & you hear the various noises when the fuel system primes?  

I can’t image that landing a wheelie a little hard would damage a fuel pump, but who knows... 

the bike still runs fine. i dont notice any difference when i first turn the key on. its only when i have my visor down that i hear it, but it echoes the noise through my helmet louder than my exhaust does. maybe i should try loosening the engine mounts bolts and then re tightening them?

9 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

If it's still under warranty  take it back to the dealer and leave out the wheelie part. You might want to check all the mounting bolts for the tank and make sure they are still there and tight.

bought the bike used with 700 miles on it, so no warranty. im really tempted to run the tank low on fuel and then pull the fuel pump to see if the pump is still hooked up properly.

also, when i go over bumps in the road, it goes away for a split second, so im pretty sure something is just shifted, i just dont know where.

ok, i think the source of the noise is actually the skidplate. i ran the bike on the center stand and listened around the engine, and sure enough, the sound was coming from the skidplate area. then i put my lid on and when i moved over the bar area i heard it more, so the sound was likely coming up through the open area from the skidplate. i think i just need to loosen the bolts so she settles in and then re tighten and it will be all good. (i do think i skimmed a tree root in my driveway with the skidplate, so..... 😅)

Edited by trevinator
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1