MPG display

Mine don't work.  It always shows 61.3 or 61.4 mpg. That would mean I could do 240 odd miles to a tank.  No matter how i ride always the same. MY 19 tracer coming up 3k miles. 18 Litre tank which in UK is 4 gallon.

Any ideas.?

• Supporting Member

Even after you reset it to zero it still only shows 61mpg?  Is that reading for average or current mpg? 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Average...  Always reset trip 2 on fuel fill. It always says I'm getting 61mpg whatever I'm doing. 

I haven't heard of that issue before, is this a new issue or has it had that reading since new?.  Is it under warranty?  I would at least call the dealer and talk to the service manager.

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, Dodgy Knees said:

In the menu there's a 'reset all' I think. I'll try that, i never use it. I just reset trip 1 on my days ride and trip 2 on fuel. I'll have another look.  👍

Reading through this again, when you refuel and reset your trip meter #2 do you also reset the fuel average reading? they are separate and need to be reset independently.

• Supporting Member

This raised my curiosity, since I have never paid any attention to the the fuel mileage readout.  It’s not in the configuration of the primary menu on my ‘15 FJ (Trip 1, Trip 2, Odometer), so I’ve never even thought about it... and absolutely have never reset it.  

The answer to a question I never had asked:  42.5 mpg average over 18k miles

31CDE237-466F-4ABE-BBBC-21800E93842C.thumb.jpeg.748a9fdb5c4aef6cbd3376b5bcfedaa3.jpeg

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Well,  just reset it. Didn't realise that was a thing. 🤪

Thanks Betoney,  see how it goes next ride.👍

I'm glad it was a simple fix and you didn't need to bring it to the dealer! 👍

On my display, I use Trip 1 for the fuel tank at fill-up and Trip 2 for the actual total ride distance.  When ever I fill the tank, I reset Trip 1 and Fuel AVG. 

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

This raised my curiosity, since I have never paid any attention to the the fuel mileage readout.  It’s not in the configuration of the primary menu on my ‘15 FJ (Trip 1, Trip 2, Odometer), so I’ve never even thought about it... and absolutely have never reset it.  

The answer to a question I never had asked:  42.5 mpg average over 18k miles

Probably not an issue on shorter rides close to home, I do a lot of longer out of state rides and fuel range is something I always have my eye on. 

Depending on how easy or aggressive I am riding, I can gauge (relatively) how far I can go before hitting reserve by the fuel average.  From experience, mine has always been about 3 mpg optimistic, so if it reads 48mpg average, I know it is actually about 45mpg, x4 gallons = 180 miles safely without accounting for reserve.  I don't listen to music so I run numbers through my head...🙄

It could also be my nature to always push buttons and see read-outs.  I am constantly switching between the 3 menu screens checking Fuel, trip distance and temperature readings. 🤷‍♀️

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, betoney said:

On my display, I use Trip 1 for the fuel tank at fill-up and Trip 2 for the actual total ride distance.

Exactly the method I use:   I reset Trip 2 when leaving the garage, and Trip 1 whenever I fill the tank.   I personally prefer keeping the total odometer mileage in the last slot of the primary menu, because, well...  I have no idea why.  I just do.  

I guess I’m a “set it and forget it” person.   I’ve been known to occasionally scroll through the menus looking for air temperature (quantitative verification of the “f@$k it’s hot” impression), but otherwise I don’t mess with it.  

Your approach of using current tank fuel mileage to estimate available range makes perfect sense, however, and engineering me is embarrassed that I hadn’t thought of that previously...  

• Haha 1