A brand new owner of Tracer 900Gt, a very different bike to my Victory Crossroads and a steep learning curve, but Tracy is very forgiving. Having come from a heavy cruiser I was very comfortable with having both feet on the ground, so I lowered Tracy it by 20mm using Lust ‘Bones’ expensive but good quality, so the next thing is to shorten the side stand which would appear to be a very simply job, except I cannot get it off, is there a secret Yamaha trick to removing it, I do not wish to swear in front of Tracy but it is getting to that stage, I value your collective wisdom

The side stand is just held on with anut and bolt, Are you counter holding the nut on the back when trying to undo the stand.

From workshop manual

1. support bike on centre stand

2. unhookside stand spring with stand in the raised position

3. counterhold bolt head unscrew nut and remove washer.then draw the bolt out 

4, Push the pivot sleeve out draw the stand off noting the position of the two washers.

reverse to install

Hope this helps

I use a Haynes manual for my earlier 2017 Tracer but I dont think the stands will be any different on the newer GT. I'm sure a search on the forum site will bring up a link to an online service manual. I have a PDF copy of the manual for the 2019 -on tracer that I can try to e-mail to you if you can't find the link on the site

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2020 at 8:25 AM, onemotte said:

A brand new owner of Tracer 900Gt, a very different bike to my Victory Crossroads and a steep learning curve, but Tracy is very forgiving. Having come from a heavy cruiser I was very comfortable with having both feet on the ground, so I lowered Tracy it by 20mm using Lust ‘Bones’ expensive but good quality, so the next thing is to shorten the side stand which would appear to be a very simply job, except I cannot get it off, is there a secret Yamaha trick to removing it, I do not wish to swear in front of Tracy but it is getting to that stage, I value your collective wisdom

Hi, I have fitted the Lust lowering bones, and dropped the forks 8mm, no need to shorten the side stand, did my lowering 2 years ago and have never had a problem. Apart from the centre stand slightly catching on some corners when doing spirited riding, or a pillion on board. Sorted this by cutting the buffer rubber for the stand in half, tiny changes but a world of a difference. I also have a lower seat.

Enjoy..........   Cheers Edgar Jessop.

Thanks Edgar, I have used the Lust lowering Kit, and your correct, it does make a big difference, certainly with confidence on dodgy surfaces when parking. Centre stand a bit harder to get up, but that’s helped by riding the bike up on a lump of timber. Great bike though, looking forward to doing some long tours on it.