FJ-09 height & weight compare FZ-09

I recently rode an XSR-900 and it was a bit tall for me (30 inch inseam, 5' 8") but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

A few years ago at the Yamaha dealer I sat on FJ-09 (2017 model) and FZ-09 (2017 model) and could flat-foot the FZ-09, but not the FJ. I know there are lowering links and all kinds of solutions with seat etc - but I don't understand the height difference if they have the same frame, and subframe below seat. Is the rear shock longer to anticipate more passenger / bags / touring stuff? (like a different factory preload setting on shock). That would lift it up some.

I know the 2018 Tracer got a longer swingarm and is not the same, so I am focused on the original FJ-09 to figure out where the height difference comes from. What is the change.  For my riding I would prefer the FJ-09 but the FZ fit me better (I have bags and large windscreen on current bike).

WEIGHT - Again I am leaning to the FJ-09 (or newer Tracer if find great deal) but don't understand why it weighs an extra 48 lbs.  Gas weighs 6.3 lb per gallon x 1.7 gallon larger tank = 10.71 extra "wet weight" 

The FJ-09 wet is 462 - FZ-09 wet 414 lb = 48 lb difference - 10.71 extra gas = 37.29 lbs that I cannot account for.

The articles I see note that the wet weight does not include saddlebags. Can there be 37.29 lbs worth of larger (empty) gas tank and small fairings, moderate size windscreen?

---------

in the 80's I rode a Yamaha 850 triple (shaft drive) that weighed 568 lbs. The newer bike is 100 lb less and that is awesome but I keep leaning toward the FZ-09 because it fits me better. With my budget I will be looking for @ 2017 model for either the FJ or FZ-09

Edited by california
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

• Supporting Member

Little bits add-up on weight for the FJ-09/Tracer:

Handguards
Windshield and bracket
Front cowling; look at pictures, FJ-09/Tracer has plastics & cowling around: turn signals, front and top of gas tank, under the driver seat, and probably more I'm failing to think of right now.
Larger seats on FJ, noticeably larger passenger seat.
Passenger grab handles
Luggage bars
Different (better) headlights.
Different front suspension setup (this can affect height).
Different handlebar risers (closer to chest).
Different handlebar - 40mm wider.

And with all that comes with weight from fasteners to hold it all on.

The subframe is not the same between the FJ-09 and FZ-09. The FJ-09's subframe is 130.6mm longer.

They also come stock with different tires. Though I'm not sure what the weight difference is there.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, california said:

I recently rode an XSR-900 and it was a bit tall for me (30 inch inseam, 5' 8") but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

A few years ago at the Yamaha dealer I sat on FJ-09 (2017 model) and FZ-09 (2017 model) and could flat-foot the FZ-09, but not the FJ.

I read a many different bike forums and a lot of people posting not being able to get both feet completely flat and want to spend a bunch of money making the bike shorter with seat and suspension mods.  Is it mandatory to completely flat foot at a stop?  I don't think I have ever put both feet down at the same time, shift your hip off the seat slightly like a dirtbike and flatfoot with one foot with the other on the foot peg.  With a custom 1.5" taller seat, I can't get both feet down anyway.

The FJ 09 seat height is listed as 33.5" in comparison my YZ250 dirtbike is listed as 39.1 inches and I have a +1.5" taller seat, about 10" taller than the stock FJ09.  I couldn't flatfoot even if I wanted to, especially on off camber or uneven terrain.

Adapt and overcome.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Wow that is an amazing video. I should be thankful that I am 5' 8". Scooting my butt over isn't as hard as jumping off.

58 minutes ago, jthayer09 said:

... The subframe is not the same between the FJ-09 and FZ-09. The FJ-09's subframe is 130.6mm longer.

OK, I missed that. And the original write ups mention the longer subframe accommodates different seating than the FZ-09 so I suppose that is where the height difference comes in.

The stats for the FZ-09 / MT-09 on Wikipedia say weight 414 lb and they mention the 2017 addition of ABS in USA but fail to mention any weight change.  I see that the actual weight with ABS is 425 lb, an increase of 11 lbs on the FZ-09 / MT-09. 
The Tracer / FJ-09 already had ABS so the weight increase (adjusting for fuel in the larger gas tank) is really 26.29

Edited by california
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list