Bolt spins and doesn't come off-Help!

Salish900

Hi Folks,

I'm installing the Givi TN2139 engine guards on my bike and there is a bolt on the left side rear that holds on the shift lever. The bolt must be removed to install the guards. The bolt came loose with some persuasion, but now it just spins and spins with some tightness and does not come off! It's like it is stripped, but that's impossible as it has never been removed. Any ideas of what is going on with this specific bolt? I'm pointing to it with the allen wrench. How do I get the darn thing off? 

IMG_2673.jpeg

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

Hi Folks,

I'm installing the Givi TN2139 engine guards on my bike and there is a bolt on the left side rear that holds on the shift lever. The bolt must be removed to install the guards. The bolt came loose with some persuasion, but now it just spins and spins with some tightness and does not come off! It's like it is stripped, but that's impossible as it has never been removed. Any ideas of what is going on with this specific bolt? I'm pointing to it with the allen wrench. How do I get the darn thing off? 

That goes all the way through to the other side, it is a long rod with threads on both ends.

**EDIT**  I'm not sure if the stock rod is threaded on both ends, when I got my case guards they supplied a rod that was threaded on both ends.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

LOL, I just did this too! Took me an embarrasing amount of time to find the nut on the other end...

The Givi directions are absolutely maddening; in this case, they use a little pictogram of a fairly normal short bolt, with no mention that it's a really, really long bolt and there's a nut on the other end.

I also slightly damaged the long bolt tapping it out and had to clean up the threads a bit. A new bolt was less than $6 from my Yammie parts peddler.

6 hours ago, bwringer said:

Took me an embarrasing amount of time to find the nut on the other end.

Yep, when I first approached this I didn't even consider that bolt could be going through to the other side, as other than axle bolts what else does? When I put it back in I coated it with ACF 50 as it seemed a low grade of steel and I couldn't tell how much it was exposed to the elements down there.