New to FJ-09

Hi all,

Looking to buy a used 2015-16 FJ-09/Tracer and was just browsing through this subforum looking for anything I should look out for when viewing these bikes.

Anything significant I should look out for when looking specifically at these model years? Hypothetically if I picked one up used and there is a Yamaha recall on a part, would that still be covered? 

Took a break from pavement riding and switched to dirt but now that work from home order is lifted and will be potentially commuting to work with some freeway stretch and the idea of possibly touring on this on the weekends, I'm definitely pumped about getting back to road riding.

Looking forward to everyone's insight! TIA!

J

17 minutes ago, jongu413 said:

Hi all,

Looking to buy a used 2015-16 FJ-09/Tracer and was just browsing through this subforum looking for anything I should look out for when viewing these bikes.

I have a '15, and for me the biggest problem is the throttle. In stock form it's notchy, jerky, and in my bike's case, almost unrideable. I had the ECU remapped, and had the TPS manually adjusted, and that took care of 90% of the problem.  The little jerkiness left over is manageable (albeit annoying). This is the reason why I like this bike alot, but I don't love it. 

Many others don't seem to have the problem as pronounced as mine, so YMMV. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, jongu413 said:

will be potentially commuting to work with some freeway stretch and the idea of possibly touring on this on the weekends,

3 hours ago, maximo said:

I have a '15, and for me the biggest problem is the throttle. In stock form it's notchy, jerky, and in my bike's case, almost unrideable. I had the ECU remapped, and had the TPS manually adjusted, and that took care of 90% of the problem.

I agree with @maximo - the fueling on the early bikes is pretty jerky, an ECU flash is pretty much mandatory.

I use mine for both weekend sporty riding in the twisties as well as multi-day road trips.  It is a nice all-arounder that adapts well to how you set it up and use it.

If you read any reviews on the FZ/MT/FJ/XSR/Tracer or Niken, the CP3 engine is the star of the show, it WILL put a smile on your face.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***