Power Outlet replacement

Mattf

I'm busy tonight on the forum...

Anyway, I replaced the power outlet with a dual USB plug. I had it laying around from another project. Got it on ebay. It needs to be grinded a bit to fit in the hole. It can be had with different backlight colors.

IMG_2719.jpg

Edited by Mattf
Added text
  • Thumbsup 2

Looks awesome, Matt, nice job!  👍

I am going with a classic Powerlet female connector on the right side - whenever I have the bike down long enough to install it. Too busy riding it right now.  This will be the 15-amp mamma-jamma edition...  👍 

JastexBlackChrome.thumb.jpg.ae66ae37c9993e39f3b6072b791754fa.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm new to the forum, and put my project post in the 'General' rather than the 'GT' section. Oops!

At any rate, I got peeved at Yamaha for putting a 2-amp fuse on the dash power outlet. Plug in anything OTHER than a cell phone and it's pretty much guaranteed to blow. And it is just  so-o-o annoying to have to pull plastics off just to change a fuse. In keeping with my lifelong mantra "anything worth doing is worth OVERdoing" I wound up upgrading the whole system(power outlet and dedicated dual-USB feed/voltmeter), details here for those curious.

To answer the question about gaining access, it goes something like like this:

• undo the 4 machine screws and remove windshield
  • Put the windscreen adjuster at HIGH position and remove the two (now exposed) lower mounting screws. 
  • Put the windscreen adjuster at LOW position and remove the single top screw. Remove and set adjuster assembly aside
  • Remove all the push rivets from the plastic dash fascia piece. 
  • Fascia itself will wiggle free, it's flexible. Just be gentle

You now have access to the dash mounting bracketry. FYI- I preferred to use a dremel to remove a tiny bit of the metal so I could fit a 'standard' dash outlet in place without modifying their threads. The Yamaha pieces, for whatever reason, are just a millimeter or two SMALLER than standard. (anguished wail: "Why, Yamaha? Why??!)

Have fun!

• Thumbsup 1