• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Looking for DIY Turn Signal Advice/Guide

LucaLex52

Hello all! I'm looking to replace the ol Pumpkins on my 2015 FJ 09. I just got it recently and the previous owner was extremely kind as to leave me manuals, service books and proof of all the work that was ever done to it...however its mostly stock, so...pumpkins. 

I'm of a mind that "moar light is moar safe" so I picked up some LED DRL turn signals from Amazon (not flush mount) that are beautiful and would go with the bike perfectly, however they have no instructions at all... its a 3 wire design, and they included hyperflash resistors. 

Does anybody have a guide, a video, a detailed walk through on installing new signals front to back? Also, has anybody ever worked with these particular lights? They are here: 

The wires are not traditional Red Black and White...more like Green Yellow and White...

I need to know how to safely remove the old ones from the front and back, how to wire the new ones, where to stash the resistors, etc. I'm probably at a novice to low intermediate mechanical level, is this something I can do? I can do my own oil changes and remove a wheel but probably not work on a carburetor...I'm not paying the local dealer 300 bucks to do this...

Pics attached, thank you for any help that can be given! Point me to a forum post, a video, or a book. It all helps!

SmartSelect_20210516-142548_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20210516-141754_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20210516-141803_Gallery.jpg

16 hours ago, LucaLex52 said:however they have no instructions at all... its a 3 wire design, and they included hyperflash resistors. The wires are not traditional Red Black and White...more like Green Yellow and White...

I need to know how to safely remove the old ones from the front and back, how to wire the new ones, where to stash the resistors, etc. I'm probably at a novice to low intermediate mechanical level, is this something I can do? I can do my own oil changes and remove a wheel but probably not work on a carburetor...I'm not paying the local dealer 300 bucks to do this..

You said your wires are green yellow white? Are you referring to the signals?

yamaha uses a deep green color for one side and dark brown for the other side signal wire. It will be the same front/back. Rear signals are 2 wire design and front are three with one being running lamp. Ground is black in this case. 

stash your resistors in a spot that gets at least some air. Or barring that, don’t mount them on anything that could melt.

An easier solution then soldering/wiring-in resistors is to pick up a new turn signal relay which will slow down the flash rate. 

I like to cut the factory connectors off the old signals (give yourself some extra wire) and solder them to the new signal wires once you’ve identified which wire does what.... that way it’s easy plug/play any time the fairings come off. 

HTH,

-skip

Edited by skipperT