I survived the FJ/MT-09 recall of 2015.

• Premium Member
Bought one Friday. Asked the dealer before I left if the recall had been done. They said all recall work had been done for all of their bikes, but they had no paperwork.

Mine was built in October so it was affected. Called Yamaha corporate today and their computer only said the work was pending. Yamaha corporate doesn't know if the work has been done or not.

Well, this sucks.

If the recall has been done You will see a blue dot on the end of the new spindle.

fast fred

Thanks, FF. I assume that the blue stripe on the shaft itself is different? There is no blue dot like the other thread shows.  
17526052182_b03b6173ac_b.jpg

The strip is simply a factory mark that someone put the circlip and washer on, and someone checked it.

Based on that picture, the shaft is NOT a recall kit shift shaft.

What are the last 6 of your VIN and are you in the U.S.?

-skip

• Premium Member
Can someone post the list of what VINs the recall falls under again? Can't find it on the forums...

Sept 1, 2014-Nov 17, 2014 build date. Build date is listed on the same plaque on the frame as the VIN number

Mine is Oct 2014 build date VIN 000963. Mine is under the recall per Yamaha. I was just confirming whether the work was done or not. Yamaha corp will be calling my dealership as will I.

• Premium Member
The dealer service manager just left my house with my motorcycle. They'll do the work this afternoon and return the bike this evening. They admitted their mistake, apologized for it, and should get me back on the road in < 8 hours with no extra effort on my part. The dealership, BTW, is about 70 miles away.

Alls well the ends well, I hope.

Wow. I hope so too.
Honestly, that was really good of him to do that... They may have made a mistake, but are trying to make it right.

Provided the outcome is favorable, that's a shop that would still deserve my business. I'm glad they did that.

Skip

• Premium Member
Wow. I hope so too. Honestly, that was really good of him to do that... They may have made a mistake, but are trying to make it right.

Provided the outcome is favorable, that's a shop that would still deserve my business. I'm glad they did that.

Skip
The short version is that Yamaha-Honda of Memphis took care of me. 
The slightly longer version: The bike was back ~ 5 hours after it left.  They also went ahead and brought me my title without waiting for my check to clear to make sure I wouldn't be late registering the bike with the state (bought the bike out of state so I registered it at my local county building).

Here's the story - and the service manager accepts all fault - they *think* they did the recall work already.  Their mechanic uses the blue dot to sort his inventory, but removes the dot once it's been installed on the bike because he finds it aesthetically displeasing.  And the service manager okayed the service writer to submit all the recall work paperwork at the same time (and it hasn't been done on all inventory yet).  That said, there is debate among the service folks whether only 1 of 2 FJ09s in stock was done or both were done.  Without the paperwork and without the blue dot, they admit they can't prove the work was done, so they did it again.

Blue dot is there now. I didn't lose any riding time and I lost maybe 2 hours of my time dealing with this.

I received my recall letter 4/6 and called the dealer I bought it from to get it repaired. They told me they didn't have the new shaft, and to call back.  I called back several times and got the same response. Yesterday, after the same response when I called the dealer, I hung up and called the Yamaha number on my recall letter. I should have done that to start with. I explained my frustration and they said let me call you back. 30 minutes later, she called me back with an appointment to drop my bike off that afternoon at a dealer 30 miles closer to my home. Picked the bike up this afternoon. The dealer that fixed my bike acted like I had bought the bike from them, as opposed to the piss-poor service I received  from the dealer I actually did buy from. Oh well, the dealer that fixed my bike will be getting my business in the future.

Archived