has anyone done a long tour on the fj09 ???/ and thoughts

i am about to pull the trigger on the fj09 and wanted to know the opinion of anyone who has done lots of miles on this bike or tour. ?/
I did a 450 mile round trip about 2 weeks ago.  Travelled down to Alabama and back same day, most on secondary roads and some on the interstate. No problems. Not completely comfortable but neither was I worn out and I'm 63. I plan on doing some light touring this summer and think 300 to 400 mile days will be no problem. A 500 to 600 mile day would not be fun for me. 

Guest dmizer
thank you ...a 300 to 500 day for me is common in the usa ..when in europe due to shorter distances 200 to 350 is normal. i guess this bike as much as i like it is not for me t
Suit yourself, but I did 1000 km in one day in enough comfort to hop on the bike again and do more touring the next day. I also turned around and ride the 1000 km back home again a couple days later. Some people find the bike to be somewhat uncomfortable, some say it's very uncomfortable, and others find it to be very comfortable. I think the bike really fits some people and doesn't others. The only way to really find out is to ride it yourself.

dmizer

it would be good if i could test ride the yamaha the way i can the bmw or harley ,namely for a full day or more . but unfortunately they o not offer this . i am now looking at the new versy 1000, and the new beemer gs and maybe the rs ....i have not really taken the fj09 off my list as yet ...but we will see .thank you for the info.

dmizer  
it would be good if i could test ride the yamaha the way i can the bmw or heavypieceofshet ,namely for a full day or more . but unfortunately they o not offer this . i am now looking at the new versy 1000, and the new beemer gs and maybe the rs ....i have not really taken the fj09 off my list as yet ...but we will see .thank you for the info.
Although I have yet to do a full day, I've done plenty of multi-hour rides on the FJ and I think, perhaps with the Yamaha comfort seat, that it would be absolutely great on a long trip.  I also strongly considered the Versys 1000 (I have virtually the same engine now in a ZX-11) and was really looking forward to it coming out.  But when I sat on both bikes at a dealer that sold both products, I eliminated the Versys right away as being way to heavy and big for enjoyable everyday riding.  Although I take one or two really long trips a year, most of my riding is up and down the local mountain roads....and the FJ really excels at that.  My biggest fear with the FJ was that it is tall and light and might be too vulnerable to high crosswinds.  And it's easily my BEST bike in strong winds, which I didn't expect at all.  After owning one for a month I'd ride it anywhere.    

I too would ride it anywhere fully stock except with a custom seat.  I did 150 mi yesterday and I'm sore today.  The ridge on the corners digs into one of my nerves.  Corbin seat next month!

I've done a 700 mile day on my FZ-09 and the stock seat was bad but now that I have a better seat it will be much better.

700 miles is a big day on any bike. I'm curious what "better seat" you ended up with? Any pics of it on the bike ...
hopefully you'll get a chance to try it out, do a review.

Some seats take a bit of time to "break in". The Corbin on my DR650 like that. Seemed a bit "firm" , but in the end Corbin got it right and that seat is good for back to back to back 400 mile days.

Just by looking/sitting on .. the FJ seat looks/feels OK to me. But I'm not a big guy so fit the bike pretty well. Stock seat seems wide enough ... any theories as to why it gets so many poor reviews?

Cheers!
Patrick

(mod, how do I put my location so it appears under my Avatar?) 

Guest dmizer
Just by looking/sitting on .. the FJ seat looks/feels OK to me. But I'm not a big guy so fit the bike pretty well. Stock seat seems wide enough ... any theories as to why it gets so many poor reviews?
Not really sure. It's possible it has more to do with the different seating position. Many riders who don't frequently do long distance riding complain about it being too hard, but you don't want a soft seat if you're going to be sitting on it for 12+ hours.

Then, there's also the old axiom "You can't please everyone." and in general, the unhappy people are the most vocal.

I can't say 700 miles, but I did 370 over 7 hours and it's really comfortable except my ass. I do have the short seat though, which I think just reduces a half inch of padding. But i had a blast. Decent wind protection and great posture.

Archived